Hopsin Forums - Undercover Prodigy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Chokey
Chokey
Registered Member

Dr. Dre - 2001 review Empty Dr. Dre - 2001 review

Fri 26 Oct 2012 - 17:47
Dr. Dre - 2001, is an album by Dr. Dre from 1999 and is his second (and last? Hopsin 3 ) album. He got all his homies and gangsta pals on every track and didn't do one song alone. That usually would be a bad choice but with Dre I would say it turned out as one of the best albums of all time. The guest appearence is completely insane.

1 - The Watcher (Ft. Knoc-turn'al)
Great opener. You know it's a beat by Dre. Great dark beat and lyrics fits great and the hook is catchy. Dre talks about how the game (and "niggas") has changed. It aint the same as before, the new shit isn't as good as the old.
"And choose a new spot if niggas wanted you shot,
I ain't a thug, how much Tupac in you, you got"
Btw. Eminem uses the same beat in the "Bin Laden Diss"-song.
8/10

2 - Fuck You (Ft. Devin The Dude & Snoop Dogg)

Motherfucking classic Gangsta beat with big G. Dre's part is not the best all the way through but the hook is dope. About fucking married bitches - you know it. Devin is on the same level as Dre it's a above averge but he then kills the hookkills the hook. And Snoop is the last one but is the best on this track. Even tho' Dre didn't went 10/10 he still went hard - they all did - and the beat just fits so perfectly with the flows and voices. Another classic and also on this one it has an insane beat.
8/10

3 - Still D.R.E. - (Ft. Snoop Dogg)
Before saying anything. If you don't know the song GTFO! This is Dr. Dre & Snoop Doggs anthem (this and nuthin but a g thang). Beat is 10/10 one of the illest ever made. Everything about it is insane. Dre goes hard, Snoop goes hard, the beat is as well 10/10 and it is just a legendary track in hip hop and rap. The song is about haters say that Dre has fallen off and rap aint the same since Dre's last album and wanna know if he still kicks it. Wanna know if his still puffin, hate the police and everything the former member of NWA claimed back in the days.
"Ladies, they pay homage, but haters say Dre fell off
How nigga My last album was "The Chronic"
They want to know if he still got it
They say rap's changed, they want to know how I feel about it"
10/10 - if you disagree fuck you!

4 - Big Ego's (Ft. Hitman)
Another album worthy beat. It's not near Still D.R.E. but its still G.O.O.D even without Snoop D O double G. (couldnt recist). Not one of the songs you will remember best but you want it on the album and it's Ipod worthy as well. The lyrics are descent not really something that makes you say WOW and neither does the flow but its good to have this track behind STILL DRE and come back to earth and relax again.It's basically about their big egos (what a fucking suprise, huh?), about they are the real deal, dre talks about he started the shit, bitches want him and every nigga and bitch plays their music in their cars.
7.1/10

5 - Xxplosive (Ft. Nate Dogg, Hitman, Kurupt & Six-Two)
From the first to the last second this is melting your ears. This is an eargasm. The beat is 10/10 again and you know it. It's so relaxing and it makes you chill. The song's 'bout being with homies, bang bitches, relaxing and just being a real G, smoking weed and dissing the fakers. Nate Dogg on the hook is obvious and he kills it. Everyone on the track killed it. Such an ill line up and no one lets the other ones down. Their shits "the bomb" therefore the name Xxplosive,
10/10

6 - What's The Difference (Ft. Eminem & X-Zibit)
The beat is stolen from the Fugees (if im not wrong) and you would expect it wouldn't fit in Dre's genre but really, it does! Dre starts out hardcore killing the flow wich impressed me. He talks about how he want to squash the beef with Eazy, people wanna know why Dre & Snoop are so close and that kinda media asked questions. Next goes X-Zibit and he continues the impressive flow and hardcore lyrics about the things you would expect not really worth mention.Then it goes insane. Em and Dre starts rapping across and to each other. They rap about having each others backs from day #1 and then Eminem's verse starts after rapping about that he would not kill Kim cause it is his daughters mama. And then ofc. we need some weed rap in this bitch.
I aint a big fan of this song but they actually made it dope.
7/10

7 - Light Speed (Ft. Hitman)
Another song you wont remember from the album but the track is still good. Not just a filler but actually good enough for the album. You would expect that it would be about time for a filler but Dre just continues making GOD beats! Descent flow from Dre and the lyrics are as you would expect: heart still in compton, he brought us snoop, chronic in the air, etc. Hitman starts out really bad but quickly finds the perfect flow and starts rapping really good. At this point it might sound a little like little parts of another track but it doesn't really matter cause the flow is different and beat is just so genius its just dope.
7.3/10

8 - Forgot About Dre (Ft. Eminem)
Did you forgot who Dre is? You better not fool! Dre starts out slow, then builds up an aggresive and passes the beat to Eminem who just murder it. Try follow Em's flow with the right lyrics. You will never be able to forget Dre again. Obviously the lyrics are about people forgot about Dre. Dre & Eminem makes sure they'll never do that again Another beat that is so fucking dope.
9/10

9 - The Next Episode (Ft. Kurupt, Snoop Dogg & Nate Dogg)
The line up already set to be a gangsta song and if weed had a theme song this would be it. Da da da da da, legendary entry and the beat, and flow are as well legendary. It's a perfect gangsta party song and if you dont wanna listen to some pop faggot gay ass mainstream shit you can put this on and nobody will dare to complain. Its fucking awesome. Lyrics are about not giving a fuck bout anything just smoke, drink, smoke, doing whatever they want and smoke the shit outta the weed! You've probly thinking "how can they just continue making lyrics about the same theme?" but you know what? It's Dre & Snoop what the fuck did you expect? They put on a real gangsta beat, come with descent gangsta lyrics and insane flows. Fuck your opinion this is legendary.
10/10

10 - Lets Get High (Ft. Hittman, Kurupt & Ms. Roq)
Hoes and weed. Another gangsta track about bitches and getting high. Party hard and smoke weed. This could as well be played at a party if you are tired of the pop faggot shit. Not really something new about this and it is seen before and as well on the album. This is the first filler but the beat & persons in it are doing what they should. It goes hard and if you haven't already turned the bass to the limit (you are retarded then) but you will need it for this track. Even for a filler this is an okay song and I accept it on the album but it's a filler and could have been left out.
6.5/10

11 - Bitch Niggaz (Snoop Dogg, Hittman & Six-Two)
First track I think could be left out of the album. The beat is relaxing and there's no "dre drums". It makes you relax and im sure you will enjoy it more if you smoke weed. Its basically about niggas being bitches (therefore the title bitch niggaz) and they dont like that.
5.5/10

12 - Murder Ink (Hittman & Ms. Roq)
Dont think it's a diss song to Ja Rule (murder inc) cause it's not. Dunno why this is on the album since Dre isn't in it? Really odd. The song is descent but if Dre isn't even in it and it's not really good it shouldn't be on the album. No need to say more. This is the worst track on the album. IMO the lyrics are stupid since it's just about killing for no further reason.
"This is anybody MURDERAHHH
to fuckin everybody MURDERAHHH
Nigga all y'all MURDERAHHH
uh, uh, for real
You'll fuck around and get killed"
4/10

13 - Some L.A. Niggaz (Ft. Defari, Xzibit, Knoc-turn'al, Time Bomb, King T, MC Ren & Kokane)
Another insane line up but Dre isn't in this song either BUT IT DOESNT MATTER cause everyone has like 15-20 seconds max so you dont even notice Dre isn't in it. Typical OG Dre beat and it's because the line up is insane that it is good enough for the album. They all just rap about how niggers in LA are the "best niggaz". It's all about survival and just being the realest nigga in the game.
6.5/10

14 - Housewife (Ft. Kurupt & Hittman)
Dre is in this one. The lyrics are about that you can't make a hoe a housewife. It's descent. The beat aint something special. The flows are as the beat okay but it's not really exciting. A filler.
5.8/10

15 - Ackrite (Ft Hittman)
Im not sure if ackrite is for act right or is slang for oral sex. The whole song is only by Hittman and you wonder why the fuck Dre didn't jump in on it and at least had a verse or the hook. But he didn't and that makes this song not album-worth just for that reason.
5.2/10

16 - Bang Bang (Ft. Knoc-turn'al & Hittman)
The song is about everwhere they are there's gunshooting and niggaz just being insane. The chorus is by a girl but I do not know who but she sings above descent and you just wait for the BANG BANG part. The song is very loudly and needs more bass. More than possible. Lyrics are what you expect. Flows insane, the beat is incredible and everything is just in top.
10/10

17 - The Message (Ft. Mary J. Blige & Rell)
I didn't expect much when I saw Mary J. Blige was in it. Never heard of that Rell dude before so I looked him up on wiki and he is actually pretty known and is signed to Roc-A-Fella. He is a singer not a rapper btw. The song is a tribute to Dre's brother Tyree. Of what I've heard is was his step-brother but don't hang me up on it. The song starts with these chinese xylophone-sounds and Dre talks a little while Mary J. Blige sings in the background. It's very harmonious. Dre starts to rap and you can really feel him in this song. Then Mary J. Blige and Rell sings the chorus very well done and it makes the song beautiful at the same time that you can't take a tear for Dre and his sorrows. Brilliant song to finish a super album.
10/10

Fav. song: Stil D.R.E.
Worst song: Murder Ink.
Overall: 9.1/10
My ratings average: 7.64/10

The few bad songs doesn't really pull the album that much down IMO because there is so many classics songs on it. I think it is the best album ever made. I've not seen any album with that I've rated with so many 10/10. The bad It was Dr. Dre's last album and both of his albums are classic and no one has ever made 2 that great albums in their first 2 solo debuts.
Buddie
Buddie
Registered Member

Dr. Dre - 2001 review Empty Re: Dr. Dre - 2001 review

Fri 26 Oct 2012 - 20:48
I agree with most of those, but I think that What's the Difference should be a little higher and Forgot About Dre is a 9.5 in my book.

But I agree with pretty much everything else Thumbs Up
anthonyFv
Registered Member

Fri 26 Oct 2012 - 21:29
Whats The Difference>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
Anyways thanks Chokey, and I can't wait to do a review on Detox Hopsin 2

20 years later......
Dr. Dre - 2001 review Image
Chokey
Chokey
Registered Member

Sat 27 Oct 2012 - 0:28
Buddie wrote:I agree with most of those, but I think that What's the Difference should be a little higher and Forgot About Dre is a 9.5 in my book.

But I agree with pretty much everything else Thumbs Up
As I said I am not a big fan of What's the Difference. We both rate ir very high but I just think it's more than 0.5 away from Stil DRE.
Thumbs Up
DGCK
DGCK
Registered Member

Mon 29 Oct 2012 - 18:30
Nice review. I think the watcher is my fav beat on the album. Forgot about Dre maybe one of my fave all time :D
Coolguy 127
Coolguy 127
Registered Member

Wed 5 Dec 2012 - 3:29
I couldn't agree more. This album a motherfucking classic and a message from Dre to all haters hatin' on him
" So fuck y'all all of y'all. If you don't like me blow me"
2pfl
2pfl
Registered Member

Wed 5 Dec 2012 - 3:44
yeah u cant fuck with the chronic 2001 shit is a bonafide classic record. that is like the pinacle west coast rap of the 90s
IVIS187
Registered Member

Sat 29 Dec 2012 - 14:09
This review sucks balls. Murder Ink is the shit!
HopsinBelgium
Registered Member

Mon 21 Jan 2013 - 19:49
Great review. Whats the difference indeed deserved better like others said, but overall i couldn't agree more.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum