Hopsin Forums - Undercover Prodigy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Perfect Stranger
Perfect Stranger
Registered Member

Stevie Stone "Rollin' Stone" Review Empty Stevie Stone "Rollin' Stone" Review

Sun 12 Aug 2012 - 4:22
Stevie Stone "Rollin' Stone" Review Sscdrl10

STEVIE STONE “ROLLIN’ STONE” REVIEW

For me, getting Stoned was a priority from the day I ordered this CD, and I’m not talking about lighting up a joint and getting so high that I can’t walk.
No, when you get stoned in Strangeland, it’s to the banging bass and raw voice of the man behind this stellar record, Stevie Stone.
In typical Stone fashion, he opens with the macho, party starting cuts such as the tuned 808’s of “808 Bendin” and banging bass filled boasts of “Get Buck”.
I assure you these songs do Hip Hop’s club scene justice…
Don’t get the wrong impression; Stevie is not focused on getting his songs spun on the radio.
Dude spits raw gritty rhymes, but who doesn’t need a party song once in a while?
Sure, when I first heard “808 Bendin” I thought THE SHIT WAS FUCKING WHACK BRO!
But it grows on you, to be honest, its quite infectious after repeat listens, although Tech N9ne’s verse is far from what it is hyped up to be.
“Oh, Tech killed all the flows with that one, bro, that shit was so ill, you can’t match that dawg”, nah SHUT THE FUCK UP CUNT!
Sorry, that’s my computing touretts and shit…
I was really disappointed with Ninna’s verse, he’s pretty much my fucking hero, but this felt like it was written with no effort put towards it, na wut I means son?
It’s not like he hasn’t said what he spat in that verse in a million another songs but the difference is this wasn’t executed as well as Tech is capable of…
Anyways, back to the star of the show, the next joint, “Perfect Stranger”, is about his journey through Hip Hop, then finally ending up where he belongs, on STRANGE!
Over time, he has had massive affiliation with Snake and Bat, but now it’s in the paper work!
“Cast Out”, is a mega highlight, all them labels that harbor artist that sold out for the money? The Independents are coming to rock your boat!
This is for those who didn’t take the “cash route”, look at Strange Music, look at Funk Volume, look at ASAP Rocky and his crew, them motherfuckers is enjoying success without changing there music for the dollars that follow.
Real recognize real. I don’t mean DJ Khaled bullshit. I’m talking what Krizz Kaliko, who rips the beat alongside Stevie represent.
You can support yourself and make something out of nothing.
Fuck YMCMB, Fuck Maybach Music, Fuck The Coke Boys!
“Keep My Name Out Your Mouth” is just Kutty and Stevie bussin’ egotistical rhymes about how “you should watch your small talk’, to be honest this shit is whack.
I love Kutt Calhoun, but his verse was horrible…
Despicable…
After Raw and Unkutt and Redheaded Step Child I expected him to continue the momentum he had but his bars are far from the it.
Honestly, who in the motherfuck rhymes about “swag sauce drippin’ off spaghetti”, what is “swag sauce?” WHAT THE FUCK DOES SWISS CHEESE HAVE TO DO WITH HIM BEING A GANGSTA?
Mr Stone however delivers an adequate verse in comparison to his cohort who usually KILLS DA SHYT!
On our next song “Oneness” we got a stellar hook that would make Bob Marley jump outta his seat (maybe), and a surprising display of lyricism from the Rollin’ Stone, which is refreshing considering the previously failed track.
My Remedy…
For me, on a personal level, this is just…AMAZING, not only does he showcase his ability to harmonize but spills out some of the most personal lyrics Stevie has ever laid down.
For any performer, whether you’re a rapper, singer, actor or maybe even a stripper, this is really relatable.
Because when you’re on stage, “all of your problems fade away”…
The haunting, almost schizophrenic sounding vocals, Yelawolf spits out for the hook on this next one. “Dollar General”, accompanied by a narrative about a bank robbery, that Stevie either fictionalized or lived out.
Regardless, it’s pleasing to see he has a good story telling ability.
An extremely underwhelming track follows in “Raw Talk” featuring Hopsin and SwizZz of the Funk Volume camp.
“Goin’ Down” is the best party orientated song by far on this album!
The beat produced by Seven will be fucking up speakers all over the world with its mosh pit worthy bass!
Stevie rocks the track with a laid back Big Scoob and a paranoid, overly intoxicated, drugged up Spade Ripper.
This album spans 16 tracks and some are worthy of mention for being fantastic soundscapes with top notch lyricism and some I’ve mentioned because they are the ones to be avoided for there disappointment.
But on two the last to songs for Rollin’ Stone…
“My Life” again Stevie’s showcases a beautiful harmony also featuring great, passionate lyrics that anyone whose ever struggled in life, will be able to relate to straight up, if your new to Stevie’s music and want something real check this out.
Finally Stevie is joined by his fellow two of his fellow Stranger’s Wrekonize Bernz of iMayday! And another MC I’ve never heard of, M.A.G.num P.I is also alongside them.
“The Road” is in reminiscent of a fallen homie, Michael Jones (aka EMJ), it also discusses there time together on All 6’s & 7’s tour of 2011, were they shed tears if pain and tears of happiness, bonded and most of all had a good time.
This album in all is a big step up from his previous debut, New Kid Comin’, so Stevie should get props for that.
Himmie Hyme…

8/10 - Much is to be desired of Stevie lyrically but there’s more feats then falls on this record, beat selection is brilliant but every star blossoms and Stevie Stone is someone who has amazing potential.
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Stevie Stone "Rollin' Stone" Review Empty Re: Stevie Stone "Rollin' Stone" Review

Sun 12 Aug 2012 - 5:48
nice review bro, ill start writing mine for this ASAP.

stuck. :D
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum