Hopsin Forums - Undercover Prodigy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Hunter
Hunter
Registered Member

Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piñata Empty Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piñata

Fri 14 Mar 2014 - 5:49
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piñata Freddie-gibbs-madlib-pinata

So this album leaked on wednesday and i had pretty high expectations, and after first listen they were met. After a few more listens this album had exceeded my expectations and now i cant stop playing it. I thought Madlib was gonna carry this album and Gibbs would just be filler, but imo Madlib kinda took the backseat, despite his production being top notch. Even though i had been listening to the EP songs (Thuggin, Shame, Deeper, Harold's) for a while, they didnt sound out of place on the album. I also never really gave them a thorough listen, but while listening to this album they clicked, especially Deeper, where he depicts his relationship with a girl.
"Maybe you's a stank ho, maybe that's a bit mean. Maybe you grew up and I'm still living like I'm sixteen"
This track, Broken and Shitsville are my favorite tracks right now.
On Broken Freddie drops some lines about his past:
"A young nigga that's been thuggin since the old days, promise I've done seen everything but old age.
Pray my demons never catch up from my old ways, keep the heat cause I was going through a cold phase",
and talks about his dad being a cop to support his family, "I'm a crook and you crooked, that's all we got in common".
You also may have heard the track "Real", where he disses his former CTE boss Young Jeezy.

This album had some promising features, which kinda disappointed. Scarface and Rae both dropped average verses, and once again Ab-Soul comes thru with a terrible verse on Gibbs' tribute to LA, "Lakers". Doms and Earl both had really dope features on "Robes", and Domo comes thru with another nice verse on "Piñata", the finishing track with features from Domo Genesis, G-Wiz, Casey Veggies, Sulaiman, Meechy Darko & Mac Miller. They all have pretty cool verses on the track, Casey Veggies had a dope flow on his verse, and Sulaiman starts with a pretty lame line ("I'm out to speak actual factual"), but redeems himself with the second half of the verse. Meechy Darko probably has the best verse on here (if not its definitely Gibbs) with some dope serial killer influenced bars. The song shouldve ended here with Meechs aggressive verse, but Mac Miller comes in after with a lazy flow and ruins the mood. His whole verse just seems out of place for the song.

Overall amazing album, I give it a 9/10, cant stop listening to it
did u guys listen to it? thoughts?

Spoiler:

inb4 lifty says its better than Madvillainy
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piñata Empty Re: Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piñata

Fri 14 Mar 2014 - 9:59
Nice little review.

Just downloaded it.
Hunter
Hunter
Registered Member

Fri 14 Mar 2014 - 20:19
STRANGEgenius wrote:Nice little review.

Just downloaded it.
thanks

what are ur thoughts on the album?
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Sat 15 Mar 2014 - 2:17
I havent listened to it yet, but ill pop it on tonight.
Jeet
Jeet
Registered Member

Sun 16 Mar 2014 - 7:24
Hunter wrote:

I thought Madlib was gonna carry this album and Gibbs would just be filler

This album had some promising features, which kinda disappointed. Scarface and Rae both dropped average verses, and once again Ab-Soul comes thru with a terrible verse on Gibbs' tribute to LA, "Lakers".

SwizZz 1
Hunter
Hunter
Registered Member

Sun 16 Mar 2014 - 23:55
Jeet wrote:
Hunter wrote:

I thought Madlib was gonna carry this album and Gibbs would just be filler

This album had some promising features, which kinda disappointed. Scarface and Rae both dropped average verses, and once again Ab-Soul comes thru with a terrible verse on Gibbs' tribute to LA, "Lakers".

SwizZz 1
whats wrong?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum