Hopsin Forums - Undercover Prodigy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Buddie
Buddie
Registered Member

Tech N9ne - Something Else (Album Review) Empty Tech N9ne - Something Else (Album Review)

Sun 4 Aug 2013 - 17:21
Today I'll be reviewing Tech N9ne's new and much anticipated album "Something Else." I hope you enjoy!

1. News With Mark Alford 1 (Skit): What a great way to start off the album. I love this skit and think it was a perfect way to open up this album.

Fire

2. Straight Out The Gate (featuring Serj Tankian, Krizz Kaliko): This song is phenomenal. It's one of Tech's best songs ever and when his career is over, this will be somewhere in his Top 25. (10/10)

3. B.I.T.C.H. (featuring T-Pain): I've listened to this song 10+ times and it's not bad at all. T-Pain's part is surprisingly my favorite and he compliments the song very well. Tech does a pretty solid job too besides the "Dodge me like Durango" line. (7/10)

4. With The BS (featuring Red Café, Trae Tha Truth & Big Scoob): This is one of the worst songs on the album. Big Scoob's hook is dreadful. This song should have been saved for a collabo album. I'm not too fond of this song. (5/10)

5. Love 2 Dislike Me (featuring Tyler Lyon of Evalyn Awake & Liz Suwandi): I really like this song. It's one of my favorite rock songs by Tech along with Far Away and Rock N' Roll Nigga. Tyler Lyon (Whoever he is) does a really nice job and so does Liz with her accompanying vocals. (9/10)

6. Fortune Force Field: This song is awesome. When I first heard the snippet, I knew this song would be great. I felt that the 2nd half of the song isn't as powerful as the 1st, but it still has a very good feel to it. (9.5/10)

7. I’m Not A Saint: The storytelling in this song is fantastic. I loved every bit of it and especially the last part: "I got molested by my 7th grade teacher Mrs..." I would have given this song a higher grade, but the instrumental needed more chords or background vocals or something. It's too bland for my tastes and I also don't care for the hook too much. However, it's still a good song. (8.5/10)

8. Fragile (featuring Kendrick Lamar, ¡Mayday!, & Kendall Morgan): When I first heard this song, for some reason I didn't like it. I had to listen a few more times before I really got into it. Kendrick definitely out shined Tech on this one. Monster verse from him. (9/10)

9. Priorities (featuring The Game & Angel Davanport): Tech, The Game, and Angel Davanport did a very good job on this song. I liked the way their verses were switched up. Pretty solid song IMO (8/10)

10. News With Mark Alford 2 (skit): I really like the skits on this album. They are probably my favorite out of any Tech album. It really gets you excited for the next section of the album... Water.

Water

11. Dwamn: This is by far the worst song on the album. It shouldn't have been on it IMO. I'm sure he had better songs that he decided to scrap that are better than this one. Yeah it's a fun song, but it doesn't mean that it's good. (4/10)

12. So Dope (They Wanna) (featuring Wrekonize, Snow Tha Product & Twisted Insane): I like this song and I think it's a pretty good listen besides Twisted Insane's verse. I think Rittz or Ra The Rugged Man would have done this beat more justice to be honest. (8/10)

13. See Me (featuring Wiz Khalifa & B.o.B): Wiz's verse is terrible, B.o.B's hook is meh. Overall, the song is very "meh" (5.5/10)

Earth

14. My Haiku-Burn the World (featuring Krizz Kaliko): This song is a very positive one. It's has a pretty good feel to it and I like it. Solid song from Tech and Krizz. (8/10)

15. That’s My Kid (featuring Cee Lo Green, Big K.R.I.T., Kutt Calhoun): I like this song a lot. Cee Lo's hook was very well done in my opinion and tech had a great verse to open the song. I would have given this a lot better grade if Tech would have done all three verses. (8.5/10)

16. Meant to Happen (featuring Scoop Deville): Much like "I'm Not A Saint," this song has great storytelling. But the hook isn't the best and it could have been done a little better (8/10)

17. News With Mark Alford 3 (skit): I wasn't expecting this skit to turn positive, but it did and it was done perfectly.

18. Believe: If this song has Beyonce on it, it would have been an instant success. Really good song and i enjoyed it a lot. (9/10)

19. R.I.P. Ray (skit): Tech has a lot of respect for The Doors and it shows on this skit.

20. Strange 2013 (featuring The Doors): I'm not as big on this song as some other people, but it's a good listen overall. I find myself skipping it a lot though. (8/10)

21. SMB: It's pretty self explanatory. I don't think I need to explain lol.

Bonus Tracks:

22. Colorado (featuring B.o.B, Krizz Kaliko, Rittz, ¡Mayday!, Stevie Stone, Ces Cru): I hate song that talk about weed, but this one is pretty good. B.o.B's hook is the best part of the song IMO. (8/10)

23. Drowning (featuring Liz Suwandi): This song is really boring at the beginning, but slowly picks up towards the end. Not bad, but not great either. (7.5/10)

24. Thizzles (featuring Danny Brown): I do not like this song very much at all. The beat is good, but I just can't stand Danny Brown's verse. I thought it was almost as bad as Wiz's. He's definitely a nominee for worst "Something Else" verse. (6/10)

25. Party The Pain Away: I like this song. It leaves you in a trance and really relaxes you. Good song. (8/10)

26. Rock-A-Bye: This is an average song to me. Nothing real special. (7/10)

27. Somebody Else (featuring Krizz Kaliko): This is just an average Tech song about sex. That's all their really is to it. (6.5/10)

28. Feels Like Heaven (featuring Krizz Kaliko and Oobergeek): This song is solid and a pretty good way to end the album. Not bad, not bad. (7.5/10)

Overall Grade: (8/10)

This album was good and the production was top notch. I enjoyed this, but I'm not sure if it's better than All 6's and 7's. It's hard to compare them because they're two different albums but I enjoyed both of them. This album was much better than the 3 average EP's he released (EBAH, Klusterfuk, and Boiling Point). This album really lives up to it's name "Something Else"
Mark us
Mark us
Registered Member

Tech N9ne - Something Else (Album Review) Empty Re: Tech N9ne - Something Else (Album Review)

Sun 4 Aug 2013 - 17:44
Buddie wrote:Kendrick definitely out shined Tech on this one. Monster verse from him. (9/10)

What the hell? Can't understand why people say this. Of course it's your opinion, but seriously? Tech's flow, delievery, his doubletime, the rhyme pattern are so smooth and on point. Kendrick seems strained and a little off-beat. I think Tech's part was way better.
Buddie
Buddie
Registered Member

Tech N9ne - Something Else (Album Review) Empty Re: Tech N9ne - Something Else (Album Review)

Sun 4 Aug 2013 - 17:46
Mark us wrote:
Buddie wrote:Kendrick definitely out shined Tech on this one. Monster verse from him. (9/10)

What the hell? Can't understand why people say this. Of course it's your opinion, but seriously? Tech's flow, delievery, his doubletime, the rhyme pattern are so smooth and on point. Kendrick seems strained and a little off-beat. I think Tech's part was way better.
I'm not saying Tech's verse was bad because I thought it was good, but the emotion in Kendrick's verse is what really mad me enjoy the song.
Mark us
Mark us
Registered Member

Sun 4 Aug 2013 - 17:53
Buddie wrote:
Mark us wrote:

I'm not saying Tech's verse was bad because I thought it was good, but the emotion in Kendrick's verse is what really mad me enjoy the song.

Ok, fair enough.
Spanky
Spanky
Registered Member

Sun 4 Aug 2013 - 19:21
This album was not that great, too high of a rating.
Buddie
Buddie
Registered Member

Sun 4 Aug 2013 - 19:54
Spanky wrote:This album was not that great, too high of a rating.
It was not that great, I agree but it was still a good album IMO. It probably won't make my Top 5 Hip Hop albums at the end of the year, but it's still a good listen.
BitchNigga
BitchNigga
Registered Member

Sun 4 Aug 2013 - 21:06
Pretty much agree with all your assessments of the tracks. So dope was underwhelming tho. Guess it was the beat. I like those loud beats when he chops.
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Sun 4 Aug 2013 - 22:08
So Dope is really good, until the features kick in, lol.

Good review, i agree with most.
Chokey
Chokey
Registered Member

Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 2:51
so dope: sucksdick/10
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 11:19
Straight Out The Gate - 10
BITCH - 8
With The BS - 5
Love 2 Dislike Me - 10
Fortune Force Field - 9
I'm Not A Saint - 9
Fragile - 9
Priorities - 9 [fucking Angel wrecked it]
Dwamn - 5
So Dope - 5
See Me - 2
My Haiku BTW - 8
Thats My Kid - 7
Meant To Happen - 1
Believe - 10
Strange 2013 - 8
Colorado - 9 [Info gates sucks and couldve used a much better subject]
Drowning - 7
Thizzles - 6
Somebody Else - 5
Feels Like Heaven - 7
Party The Pain Away - 7
Rock A Bye - 8
Perfect Stranger
Perfect Stranger
Registered Member

Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 11:29
I love the beat for Fragile, I love the verses, the hook.
Everything is there.
I couldn't say either outshined the other because it's phenomenal.
King
King
Registered Member

Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 15:50
No one outshined anyone but Kendrick wanted to hold his own with tech and you could definitely tell, his verse was more simple than tech so it probably reaches more people, he went along with a similar scheme that tech had which I think is a good idea.
Chokey
Chokey
Registered Member

Mon 5 Aug 2013 - 17:52
Straight Out The Gate - 10
BITCH - 6
With The BS - 5
Love 2 Dislike Me - 9
Fortune Force Field - 9
I'm Not A Saint - 7
Fragile - 10 [Best song on the album]
Priorities - 9
Dwamn - 3
So Dope - 3½
See Me - 6
My Haiku BTW - 7
Thats My Kid - 7
Meant To Happen - 7
Believe - 10
Strange 2013 - 8
Colorado - 9 
Drowning - 7
Thizzles - 3
Somebody Else - 6
Feels Like Heaven - 7
Party The Pain Away - 8
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum