Hopsin Forums - Undercover Prodigy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Perfect Stranger
Perfect Stranger
Registered Member

"Jesus Piece" - Game Review Empty "Jesus Piece" - Game Review

Mon 17 Dec 2012 - 10:08
JESUS PIECE – GAME

"Jesus Piece" - Game Review Game-j10

This entire project has been extremely overrated and underrated by critics and Game alike.
Plagued with features – that sometimes feel unnecessary – but thankful Game can hold his own against nearly all of the other artists that are featured on here, due to the fact a lot of them a generic mainstream rappers that Game (sadly) seems to be constantly affiliating him with.
Through the materialism, vignettes of violence, boasts and tales of fornicating with promiscuous women, this is actually done surprisingly well.
Sure some cuts let this one down, but there are quite a few bangers and a lot of signs of maturity.
Anyway, let’s get into it.

1) Scared Now (Featuring Meek Millz)

A catchy hook about gratious acts of violence is how Chuck Taylor decides to begin this album, and to his credit he does it reasonably well.
Even though this song grows on you after a few listens, it seems really obscure as the introductory track.
Not to say that the themes explored on here aren’t revisited later on in the tape, but it’s out of character for Game to jump into it like this straight away.
Compare this to say, “Westside Story”, from The Documentary and even though he runs through the some gangsterism’s as that particular song as WS, it’s a lot less fitting.
It’s not a bad song - apart from Meek Millz absolutely trash verse – but it gave me a different vibe and doesn’t do the record justice as an intro track.
Still it’s a fucking banger and it will be going out my speakers until I get sick of it.

8.5/10

2) Ali Bomaye (Featuring 2Chainz & Rick Ross)

At the beginning of this next joint it sounds like Game is about to get into a serious, thought provoking, political rant – but then you remember 2Chainz & Officer Ricky are on this cut too.
Although, even though 2Chainz doesn’t show off any ground breaking lyricism his 16 is kind of catchy, even if it is his standard simplistic boasts.
It’s also ironic that 2Chainz proclaims “this is ghetto intelligence”, then spits another average arse rhyme.
The Game on the other hand delivers another street smart verse, with this being one of his better set of bars on this CD, still much is to be desired of him lyrically, constantly resorting to materialism and hood tales – but yet his punch lines are pretty solid.
Don’t even get me started on Officer Ross, standard “Got a chopper in a car” idiocy that he is never heard without.
He nearly ruins this song – but Game saves the day.

3) Jesus Piece (Featuring Kanye West & Common)

The title track, and concept behind this entire album is presented right here.
Game reflects on everything from Dr Dre to being ashamed of where he was because of Biggie’s shooting – to a clever Kurt Cobain reference.
The hook bangs out with Game mimicking a trade mark Kanye, “huh”, although strangely it says that Ye’ is featured, but I’m not even sure if he is the echo in the hook.
2nd verse goes more into the state of neighbourhoods, spiritualism; it’s nice to see Game being introspective.
When Common appears spitting lyrical complicated bars light years beyond Game’s, he seems out of place.
Not because his verse isn’t good, but because of the dexterous lyricism he dribbles along the track.
Even though it isn’t as well thought out, Game’s verses’ are still really enjoyable and he goes extra hard on this one.

9/10

4) Pray (Featuring J Cole & JMSN)

With Game putting on a higher pitch, showcasing extremely impressive story telling that portrays the life of a troubled young girl who has various tragedies occur over time; with Game consoling her.
Game is encouraging everyone to “Pray” and treat women with respect – which seems a bit contradictory to some of the misogyny on this album.
J Cole fly’s in with another tale of lust, betrayal and life, it talks about a girl he wanted but she was married, so out of respect he backed off.
Then she wanted him, and they “fucked – say what”, after hearing this; her husband smacked his woman one and did a bid.
This song seems so fresh especially the fact that Game is delivering a really in depth story – a talent which he rarely showcases.

10/10

5) Church (Featuring King Chip & Trey Songz)

Game has a really bad pattern.
He produces a really creative; amazing song and then goes and puts out half arsed, mediocre material like this song.
There are a couple of nice rhymes here, but the mediocrity outweighs the dopeness in this particular cut.
This is a comparison between the slutty, stripper type women – the ones whose vagina’s Game takes pleasure in destroying – and the good church going girls that have amazing bodies they won’t usually.
This song is tolerable but it doesn’t have the calibre that a lot of the other joints do.
By the way, King Chip fucking sucks.

7/10

6) All That (Lady)(Featuring Lil Wayne, Big Sean, Fabulous & Jeremih)

A ploy for radio play, plain and motherfucking simple.
The only thing I liked about it was Jeremih’s singing.
Even Game provides an extremely average 16, which inevitably ends up making him lose the flair and momentum he had going for him earlier on.
YES MOTHERFUCKERS WE ARE ONLY 6 SONGS DEEP AND IT HAPPENED!
I thought I would never say this but if you just had the R NB vocals and Big Sean’s verse this would actually be fucking dope.
I’m not a fan of Sean but I really liked this 16, and he outshines everyone else, some of the others are even arguably better MC’s (i.e Game & Fabulous), but he’s the only one who went in.
MINDFUCKED!

6.5/10

7) Heavens Arms

I would usually be relived to finally hear a solo Game, but he somehow doesn’t hold this up as say a track with two features like "Pray", which is virtually perfect by Hurricane Game standards.
Game stills brags about materialism and how many women he smashes, which breaks no ground, but is kind of interesting.
The final verse addresses Game’s problem with Jay-Z, comparing himself to other MC’s and proclaiming his legendary status that I personally wouldn’t dispute.
Although, the concept of Game’s large ego gets really tired early on, he puts enough into this song to give it that extra flavour.

8) Name Me King (Featuring Pusha T)

Continuing the theme of Hip Hop royalty and spiritualism, Game contributes a very intricately done set of bars, using King Queen-esque imagery to back up his claims of being Hip Hop’s current King.
Professing once Game passes, his son will be the heir to his throne, rocking jewellery that only Royalty are worthy of, conveying the message that he is here to stay, boasting a lavish lifestyle bathed in hard core materialism.
Pusha continues this vibe, but adds a more street centric element, with the Kingpin, drug over lord persona.
All of his profits bless him with eternal wealth and presence in the rap game.
Audiences all over the world will worship his contribution to music, securing him as one of Hip Hop’s greatest from his point of view.
Last verse describes Chuck Taylor handing his royal bizness and so forth.
Both MC’s beg for one thing.
Name them King.

9/10

9) See No Evil (Featuring Kendrick Lamar & Tank)

Beginning with a statement about how he doesn’t read the XXL, proceeding to disrespect a magazine that supports his endeavours greatly, comes off as a bit of a cheap shot.
Yet, Game spins out impressive rhymes about the dark nature of California’s most notorious gang neighbourhoods, discouraging snitches and professing his credibility as a gangster, with wicked imagery and grave warnings; this verse really hits hard.
Tank, who sings the hook, just puts the icing on the cake with this one.
Kendrick Lamar kicks an equally – if not more – impressive 16, coming with the same descriptive vibe of about the place of birth that the two MC’s share.
Relaying some personal experiences from his time as a youth being weary of rats who may have witnessed some of the crimes K Dot claims to of committed as youngster.
The nature of this environment creates constant paranoia, with a haunting chorus, followed by Game dropping back in with more descriptions of violent deaths and family mourning, after retaliation; the product of escalating gang violence they have both experienced first hand.

10/10

10) Can’t Get Right (Featuring K. Roosevelt)

Throwing down rhymes referencing everything from the Jay-Z/Nas Beef to Dipset – you dipshit - this is how it’s going to go now.
Taking aim at the wannabe impersonator rappers who constantly mimic the style, the presence and everything associated with dope MC’s – funnily enough he features a lot of those try hard faggots on this album.
The hook is kind of generic, but it feels kind of necessary in the context of this song.
The 2nd rhyme goes in on how he felt that Dr Dre was replacing him with Kendrick Lamar as a protégé, even though he had respect for K Dot, he still contemplated dissing his mentor.
It gives a way better insight into the whole Game/Aftermath situation that didn’t really have any light shed on it until 2009/2010.
It also discusses his already prolific drug use.

9/10

11) Hallelujah (Featuring Jamie Foxx)

Possibly the most religion orientated cut on this entire album, this is a mix of boasts and the good will of God.
He consults paragraphs from the Bible for advice on how to live his lavish life; with good intentions.
Even with this being said the Game constantly contradicts with his materialism, thugging and pussy slaying.
The controversy surrounding the album artwork was both unnecessary and necessary at the say time.
For one Game promotes blasphemy all through here, going against everything that a stereotypical “good Christian" represents, but in a way he kind of reflects on that – kind of.
On the other hand, Game’s intentions were only to pledge his allegiance to God and um...gang membership.

8/10

12) Freedom (Featuring Elijah Blake)

Game shows some great lyricism here, with a more poetic approach in addressing certain matters.
Even though he flexes his ego, dude does it marvellously well; shutting down the detractors who claim the West fell off, giving numerous examples of kick arse MC’s who are still prominent.
Y U NO SAY BROTHA LYNCH HUNG?
Discussing his past with the various of members of D12, everyone from Eminem to Bizarre to Proof get a mention, which makes me kind of sad that he didn’t feature them instead of some ridiculously shitty MC’s like Weezy, Tyga etc.
The sample in the background of the beat gets a little annoying but thankfully Elijah Blake’s and Game’s vocals are load enough to overpower it.
It also contains a short extract of a phone call between the man himself and the YMCMB Boss Birdman.
With Baby pretending like he’s some hard core Blood, not only does this come off corny as fuck, but it leaves me really disappointed in Game for going the Cash Money road (pun intended).

9/10

13) Celebration (Featuring Chris Brown, Tyga, Wiz Khalifa & Lil Wayne)

The albums most popular single at present is how Game chooses to close the album, delivering a rhyme that obviously has a shit load of Bone Thugs n Harmony influence in it; in fact – he almost emulates them almost perfectly.
Chris Brown croons an Auto Tune layered chorus; that is kind of catchy I guess – but of course his bars are extremely cliché and suck more dick than a drag queen in a gay bar.
Wiz adds his flavour to the hook, improving it greatly but the vocal enhancements are really fake sounding, which is kind of disappointing but otherwise he goes OK, even though he only ad libs here and there.
Tyga puts in another one of his trademark wack ass verses, nothing special.
I needn’t comment anything further.
Weezy announces his presence from the get with “YOUNG MAULA BABY”, of course it sounds like he’s receiving anal sex from a seal when he preaches this but none the less his verse isn’t very impressive, but it fits the vibe of the song pretty well.
This is how Game intended it to be.

Overall:
Rating: 8/10
Best Song(s): See No Evil, Pray & Jesus Piece
Worst Song: All That (Lady)
Hottest 16(s): See No Evil – Game & Kendrick Lamar, Pray – Game
Favourite Beat(S): Scared Now, See No Evil, Jesus Piece.
Favourite Artist(s) Featured: K. Dot, Pusha T, J Cole

I believe a lot of people critique this album to hard, but some of it is agreeable while others being extremely unfair.
The countless features let this down a bit; especially with the weak verses some of them deliver.
It’s like some of the less talented MC’s bring their shitty vibe onto Game when he delivers very out of character 16’s that are way below his standards.
Some of the production does Game’s incredible rhymes absolutely no justice, when he’s on, he’s on, when he’s on the production off, when he’s off the productions on, but when he’s REALLY ON THE PRODUCTION’S FUCKING BEAST.
Wiser choice of features would greatly benefit this entire project, but obviously these days Game is surrounding himself with MC’s I don’t like.
More Kendrick and Pusha would’ve improved it; Game must have had a big budget cashing out on all these features pretty recklessly.
Quite a few attempts at radio play can really water down Game’s menacing words but overall I’d say the majority of this record is fairly solid street music, even though there are a few skippers.
This may be good but I know; when Game signs with YMCMB I won’t be buying his future projects.
Chokey
Chokey
Registered Member

"Jesus Piece" - Game Review Empty Re: "Jesus Piece" - Game Review

Tue 18 Dec 2012 - 0:47
because of this review im gonna listen the album through. if it is as bad as I personally imagine I will cry. you gave me hop.
Perfect Stranger
Perfect Stranger
Registered Member

Tue 18 Dec 2012 - 6:05
Chokey wrote:because of this review im gonna listen the album through. if it is as bad as I personally imagine I will cry. you gave me hop.

Honestly, I found it very similar to the RED Album, but don't be deterred by that.
It has some real bangers, the ones I described in the review.
I went the safe route and downloaded it.
Chokey
Chokey
Registered Member

Tue 18 Dec 2012 - 13:59
Perfect Stranger wrote:
Chokey wrote:because of this review im gonna listen the album through. if it is as bad as I personally imagine I will cry. you gave me hop.

Honestly, I found it very similar to the RED Album, but don't be deterred by that.
It has some real bangers, the ones I described in the review.
I went the safe route and downloaded it.
Honestly the RED album sucked. After his mixtape Purp & Patron I actually felt he would make some great shit again. then RED came Tyler

Gonna listen later today and see if I agree with you or game sucks as exptected
Perfect Stranger
Perfect Stranger
Registered Member

Fri 1 Feb 2013 - 10:14
I'm changing my rating too 7/10, maybe a 6.5/10.
hopsintupac
hopsintupac
Registered Member
https://www.youtube.com/user/hopsintupac

Fri 1 Feb 2013 - 13:48
This album was wack dawg... This and the red album is shit. Im thinking about destroying my red album that is an album I wish I never pre-orded. And this album I gave a chance by listening to some songs on youtube and they sucked!!! The game hasn't been good since the documentary.
Perfect Stranger
Perfect Stranger
Registered Member

Sat 2 Feb 2013 - 9:08
hopsintupac wrote:This album was wack dawg... This and the red album is shit. Im thinking about destroying my red album that is an album I wish I never pre-orded. And this album I gave a chance by listening to some songs on youtube and they sucked!!! The game hasn't been good since the documentary.

Did you listen to "See No Evil" or "Pray"?
Yes, their were tons of shitty songs but I've heard much worse.
Perfect Stranger
Perfect Stranger
Registered Member

Sat 27 Jul 2013 - 10:34
Fuck, I overrated some of these songs.
Coolguy 127
Coolguy 127
Registered Member

Mon 29 Jul 2013 - 7:04
Perfect Stranger wrote:Fuck, I overrated most of these songs.
fixed
Spanky
Spanky
Registered Member

Mon 29 Jul 2013 - 7:12
Coolguy 127 wrote:
Perfect Stranger wrote:Fuck, I overrated most of these songs.
fixed
Your prolly right, but there are some REALLY nice tracks on here. Pray, See No Evil, Heavens Arms, Blood Diamonds are fucking fire tbh.
fxtdiilz
fxtdiilz
Registered Member

Mon 29 Jul 2013 - 7:43
Pray is an awesome song
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum