Hopsin Forums - Undercover Prodigy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Perfect Stranger
Perfect Stranger
Registered Member

Wu-Tang Clan - "Enter The 36th" Chamber Review Empty Wu-Tang Clan - "Enter The 36th" Chamber Review

Mon 10 Dec 2012 - 7:39
Enter the 36th Chambers

Wu-Tang Clan - "Enter The 36th" Chamber Review 36cham10

There is so much to say about this album, I could go into little details about why this is possibly the greatest album of all time, but that would be strenuous and I couldn’t do it enough justice.
Everyone else seems to be doing it, so I’m going to be doing a track by track analysis, to make this easier to decipher.

1) Bring Da Ruckus

As soon as the sound of the RZA’s addictive chant erupts through your speakers, demanding your attention and urging the listener to “bring the motherfucking ruckus” this sets the tone of this record.
Ghostface’s commanding voice spitting out street rhymes and boasts that make the G Funk soundscape of the time seem so tacky in comparison.
The monstrous verses that follow just compliment the momentous instrumental produced by the head honcho, RZA.
Each verse is equally worthy of praise, particularly GZA and Inspectah Deck, who initiate lyrical talent never seen before in Hip Hop at that point in time.

10/10

2) Shame on a N***a

This next cut continues to showcase the RZA’s exemplary talents as producer, the beat being very funky and ubiquitous in its rhythm.
With the first appearance of Ol’ Dirty Bastard’s unpredictable delivery that would later make him a legend among Hip Hop Fans, makes this song even more eventful
This CD is full of chant-like hooks, but ODB’s constant reminder of “I’ll fuck your ass up!” is so fitting for his personality and style.
The beat is hella funky and Raekown goes in as well, showing that he will cook up some marvellous shit to get your mouth watering, word to the Method Man.

9/10

3) Clan in the Front

The piano sample accompanying the GZA’s verse as soon as he busts really salute each other.
But this song is one of my lesser favoured songs on this record; the repetitive drum machine can be a little irritating but the other aspects of the beat really make up for it as well as the lyricism, being the only solo track by The Genius on this project - thankfully they chose the groups best lyricist to tear it up.

7.5/10

4) Wu Tang: 7th Chamber

This next joint begins with a skit consisting of a few of the members – Rae, Meth, U-God, Inspectah Deck and most notably Ghostface - describing someone being brutally murdered in a drive by.
It’s very interesting to see the amount of slang used by each member, again particularly Ghostface, which is hard to understand unless you’re previously a Wu Tang/Nations of Gods and Earth enthusiast and familiar with use of slang that has added to their legacy and uniqueness in the rap game.
The way they rhyme and the way they actually speak differentiates greatly and therefore makes it even more interesting to listen too.
Anyway, Raekown sets it off with a stellar verse full of threats of violence, armed robbery and just straight thugging.
Each member featured on this particular track throw down a hot 16, for some of them, the best on this album.
Raekown sets it off with a stellar verse of threats of violence, flirting with the somewhat demented sounding instrumental.
Meth then delivers some of the most Horrocore-esque bars of potentially his career, portraying a mentally unstable MC tearing down the composition.
Verses follow from Ghostface, Inspectah Deck, RZA, GZA & Ol’ Dirty follow with a lot of Kung Fu imagery, as well as depictions of the harsh realities of life, each MC spits some insane rhymes and metaphors giving this a more sinister vibe than a lot of other songs on this album.

9/10

5) Can It All Be So Simple

One of the singles off of ET36C, combined with a soulful sample and nice laid back beat rhymes of reflection from Ghost & Raekown, this is probably one of the most sympathetic, beautifully done songs in the whole Wu catalogue.
Laying down their ambitions and dreams, getting away from the hectic life that is the criminal life style they lead, reminiscing about when they were younger, when they didn’t have any struggles or pressure in the way they live.
It showcases both MC’s promising talents as story tellers, and the passion behind each sentence is really what makes this track even better.
The track closes out with an interview, with Method Man, Ghostface Killah and Raekown, describing each member’s uniqueness and future goals.

10/10

6) Da Mystery of Chessboxin’
This joint kicks off with a riotous beat and one of the few U-God guest appearances, holding his own against other members, such as Inspectah Deck who provides a rugged verse, signifying the unity in Wu Tang, with each MC going off on a tirade of dope rhymes.
Ol Dirty has the most notable delivery, with him doing his signature sing songy, garbled style.
A passionate 16 by GFK described him facing off against an opponent, is a major highlight of this song, as well as Masta Killah’s only appearance on the entire record just in this classic song.

10/10

7) Wu Tang Clan Ain’t Nothing To Fuck Wit

This is the first Wu Tang Clan song I ever heard, it still remains to this day my favourite Wu song.
With a thumping beat and RZA spitting stellar rhymes over it, with a chant like verse, it complements the vibe of this entire cut perfectly, followed by Rebel INS (aka Inspectah Deck) who comes in and makes you just want to fucking mosh.
This is riot music at its best.
Meth displays an interesting style on this, messing around with a sing song type delivery, obviously influenced by ODB – although he doesn’t appear on this joint.
This is a signature Wu song, the rhymes, the beat, the selection MC’s, really show this is what the movement is about.
It closes out with RZA ad-libbing and giving shout outs to everyone who he has respected for and who supports the Wu Tang Clan movement.

10/10

8) C.R.E.A.M

With just a hint of bass, slithering around the sample and drum machine, this next endeavour is a very successful one.
Not only is it a great song, it created Hip Hop history with the acronym of Cash Rules Everything Around Me.
Constantly name dropped, even when someone is just referring to money rather than the story behind the term, they are essentially honouring this song in a discreet way.
Shit, “I’mma tell you like a ni**a told me, cash rules everything around me”.
A tale of desperation in the ghetto delivered by Raekown and Inspectah Deck is the topic of this song and done extremely well, with Method Man spreading his gravely voice over the hook.
This is a classic early 90’s sounding joint and those hard core enthusiasts will see this song as godly - which in Wu’s on way, it kind of is.

10/10

9) M.E.T.H.O.D Man

A solo track provided by the Clan’s most commercially successful rapper is a banger for sure.
Meth may not be the greatest lyricist in the group, but his ability to switch up his flow and boast like there is no tomorrow is just as impressive as a complex verse from someone with the calibre like the GZA for example.
What he lacks he makes up for.
At the start it’s just him and Rae trash talking about inflicting gratious violence on each other, this is actually pretty goddamn funny and shows there’s humor in this track as well.
You can count on Meth to give a us a dope ass rhyme about partying, drinking and of course what he gained notoriety from – ROLLING THAT SHIT, LIGHTING THAT SHIT, SMOKING THAT SHIT!
The beat is a head nod worthy one.
Although, much is to be desired of Meth lyrically, this shit goes hard!

8/10

10) Protect Ya Neck

One of the most recognised Underground Hip Hop songs, this is a classic posse cut that has never been matched by any other interpretation or swagger jacking of it.
Inspectah Deck, Raekown, Method Man, U-God, RZA, Ol Dirty Bastard, Ghostface Killah & GZA each contribute memorable bars, ranging from everything from ripping ups shows, to drug dealing to women to just straight up hard core shit, that they emulate so well, unmatched in originality.

9/10

11) Tearz

With a 1920’s sounding vocal sample for the hook, RZA starts off with some storytelling and just general mischief, with Ghost’s verse being the highlight of the track telling a story of promiscuity in a relationship leading the contraction of HIV for one of the people in it.

8/10

12) Wu Tang: 7th Chamber Part II

Revisiting a previous concept earlier on in the album, with a new beat, and some of the same rhymes from the members featured on the other one.
The aim of this track seems just to remix the original, except with a better, more Morden sounding beat.
In a way this is kind of disappointing, because you would expect that the Wu would make one final cut to finish masterpiece they had created.
Fortunately, the rhymes still sound raw, with a cleaner sound than the original song.
None the less, this being the final cut of the album, at least nearly every member is on it.

9/10

Overall:

Rating: 10/10
Favourite Song: “Wu Tang Clan Ain’t Nothing To Fuck Wit”, "Da Mystery of Chessboxin'"
Favourite Verse: Ghostface Killah – “Can It All Be So Simple”
Favourite Beat: “M.E.T.H.O.D Man” or “Shame on a Ni**a”
Top 3 Lyricists: GZA, Inspectah Deck & Ghostface Killah
Least Favourite Song: Wu Tang: 7th Chamber Part II (purely because it was the same song with a different beat as specified above).

I believe this to be the greatest Hip Hop record ever produced, with no filler and constantly engaging beats and rhymes, this is a brand of hard core that not even the toughest MC’s could match.
Of course this appeals to a certain kind of music fan, even for some Hip Hop fans this antiestablishment, street smart, drug dealing inspired soundscape is to hectic for them to keep up with and/or bare.
The beauty of this is, it has no features about from members of the Clan who are equally spaced out over the duration of the record – guest feature would later ruin some Wu records.
This is an essential album to have in your collection, if you don’t have it – GO COP IT.
WU TANG CLAN AIN’T NOTHING TO FUCK WIT!

Note: Over the next week or two I will be doing reviews on albums, I consider an oldie - a classic from the 80's, 90's etc - (example Enter the 36th Chambers) and a goldie - basically a recent record that I think is classic or at least almost.
Chokey
Chokey
Registered Member

Wu-Tang Clan - "Enter The 36th" Chamber Review Empty Re: Wu-Tang Clan - "Enter The 36th" Chamber Review

Mon 10 Dec 2012 - 14:46
First time I see anyone underhype CREAM so much. Nice review tho
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum