Hopsin Forums - Undercover Prodigy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Jeet
Jeet
Registered Member

Pharoahe Monch - Podcast with rapgenius Empty Pharoahe Monch - Podcast with rapgenius

Thu 18 Oct 2012 - 11:20
Didn't see a thread about this so I thought I'd share. STRANGEgenius actually showed me this first lol (I know)

http://rapgenius.com/posts/New-podcast-pharoahe-monch-and-jean-grae-on-their-latest-songs

If you can't be bothered to listen (it goes for about 25 minutes) here are the main points I picked up. He talks about some of the songs on the album, so if you don't want to know about that I've put it as a spoiler.

• Explanation of the wordplay "fill in the blanks" in Damage (I'm pretty sure you all can catch this double entendre)

• PTSD is an EP

• Pharoahe reflects how the song was recorded before the batman shootings, and how the second verse is similar the the killer's mindset

• PTSD is a continuation of the WAR metaphor from his previous record, and contains a lot of music containing suicidal thoughts

Spoiler:
  • Talks about a record called "Broken Again", about a guy who comes back from the war, where his girl (I think he meant daughter) couldn't wait. It's a story about the love lost between them, and he conveys this through a metaphor of heroin use. He alludes to other celebrities and their drug use. He talks about a particular stanza being very dense with metaphors & meaning.

• PTSD (title track) is about talking himself out of suicidal thoughts

• Song called "Jungle", it's a metaphor of the city. Written originally for desire. Last line is "Use my power to shine my light". He defines this as "utilise your mind to find dimension" alluding to the whole concept of the matrix. Wealth and Happiness is a state of mind which can be achieved.

• Contains remix of the Grand Illusion off his W.A.R. album. Comments on how it's completely a different sounding song, only the lyrics are the same.

• Talks about cultural diversity of his fanbase (twitter followers)

• More of a musical album like Desire. In the hooks where he is singing he's "pouring his heart out"

• They also did an interview with Jean Grae but I didn't have time to listen to the whole 40mins
    Jeet
    Jeet
    Registered Member

Pharoahe Monch - Podcast with rapgenius Empty Re: Pharoahe Monch - Podcast with rapgenius

Fri 19 Oct 2012 - 1:14
    No love for monch? Damn.
    hupsun
    Registered Member

Pharoahe Monch - Podcast with rapgenius Empty Re: Pharoahe Monch - Podcast with rapgenius

Fri 19 Oct 2012 - 1:16
    omg double poster
    BabySmacker
    BabySmacker
    Registered Member

Fri 19 Oct 2012 - 1:16
    no love for podcasts tbh
    STRANGEgenius
    STRANGEgenius
    Administrator

Fri 19 Oct 2012 - 2:28
    i lold at the intro.
    Frankie
    Administrator
    https://twitter.com/HopsinForums

Fri 19 Oct 2012 - 3:01
    Nice! I Wouldn't have seen this if it wasn't for the bump. Listening now tbh.
    Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum