Hopsin Forums - Undercover Prodigy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Perfect Stranger
Perfect Stranger
Registered Member

How do you promote yourself in today's Hip Hop climate? Empty How do you promote yourself in today's Hip Hop climate?

Wed 12 Sep 2012 - 9:15
Aight,

Well, looking back at some of my clips on YouTube, a lot of the material is fairly mediocre and I'm attempting to find a style the suits me and all that cliche shit.

But what I've found it hard to promote myself, I mean when people do find me either by chance or by me making a comment on one of there videos that gets them butt hurt.

I mean, I can't get into a studio until the holidays or possibly not till Summer, so my recording quality is dodgy but what my question is...

In todays Hip Hop Climate, how do you become successful on the internet, I've noticed people like Max and Arkade are getting mad recognition (being a fan myself), but I know its not going to happen straight away, but how do a build up, do I rape Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Other Hip Hop Forums etc. or what,

Thanks n shit SwizZz 4
anthonyFv
Registered Member

How do you promote yourself in today's Hip Hop climate? Empty Re: How do you promote yourself in today's Hip Hop climate?

Wed 12 Sep 2012 - 10:59
Perfect Stranger wrote:Aight,

Well, looking back at some of my clips on YouTube, a lot of the material is fairly mediocre and I'm attempting to find a style the suits me and all that cliche shit.

But what I've found it hard to promote myself, I mean when people do find me either by chance or by me making a comment on one of there videos that gets them butt hurt.

I mean, I can't get into a studio until the holidays or possibly not till Summer, so my recording quality is dodgy but what my question is...

In todays Hip Hop Climate, how do you become successful on the internet, I've noticed people like Max and Arkade are getting mad recognition (being a fan myself), but I know its not going to happen straight away, but how do a build up, do I rape Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Other Hip Hop Forums etc. or what,

Thanks n shit SwizZz 4

Im startin producing so Ill probably be dealing with this soon. My advice, is get on as many websites as you can like this, and dont spam, but you can still get the word out about what you do and maybe share a video or two on a site. Everything counts. I didnt know you were an artist yourself untill just now so now im gonna check out your videos. Wouldnt of even happen if you werent on here. Just keep grinded man.
Jeet
Jeet
Registered Member

How do you promote yourself in today's Hip Hop climate? Empty Re: How do you promote yourself in today's Hip Hop climate?

Wed 12 Sep 2012 - 13:19
Be good at what you do.
Chokey
Chokey
Registered Member

Wed 12 Sep 2012 - 15:28
Im doing my 3rd and last year at "high school" and after that I can either take a job and do nothing for 1 or more years or go to university. I think I will take a sabat year and make some music. I've never made music before. But my lyrics will be promoting for myself. I am atm writing a text called "9 out of 10 girls are ugly without make-up" and I will keep it real and shit like that. Then if I get big enough to go on national television or something like that even on a shitty channel for an interview I will show up in my bathrobe-suit like Eazy E did FUCK YEAH! I will be annoying as fuck like Tyler but really I am weird enough from the beginning I am just mad Tyler did it first. Haha... oh yeah and if I dont I will just suck dicks to survive.
41OMaXiMuS
41OMaXiMuS
Registered Member
https://www.youtube.com/user/410maximus

Wed 12 Sep 2012 - 15:40
Thanks for the shoutout / mention.

Honestly, all I did was drop videos and comment on other peoples videos. I have over 5,000 subscribers right now (I had 6,000, but I deleted a bunch of them by accident).

The biggest jumps in subscribers happened when I released these videos:

(Headknock has a combined total of 46,000 views, uploaded by me & theory)

So this all leads me to the conclusion that you have to drop vids to get a fanbase. No matter how simple the video is... people want visual data to compliment the music. Make videos, that's really the best advice I can give you.
DGCK
DGCK
Registered Member

Wed 12 Sep 2012 - 15:51
TBH.... Body Bagz > Rap Game -

You wanna be like Max? Grow a mustache. Be black.
41OMaXiMuS
41OMaXiMuS
Registered Member
https://www.youtube.com/user/410maximus

Wed 12 Sep 2012 - 16:00
DGCK wrote:TBH.... Body Bagz > Rap Game -

I had some many haters on the mustache, lol.

And I'm still mad that Body Bagz only has like 1,000 views, that's pretty pathetic. I should resurrect that shit with a video like I originally planned.
DGCK
DGCK
Registered Member

Wed 12 Sep 2012 - 16:16
41OMaXiMuS wrote:

And I'm still mad that Body Bagz only has like 1,000 views, that's pretty pathetic. I should resurrect that shit with a video like I originally planned.

You need to man! It's so sick. No bull, its my jam. I showed it to the homies, we bump that shit. I'm always saying shit like... "There goes your dreams.. BETTER CALL FREDDY UP!" or "I gotta dip... Like a chip in the cheese."

'Snap' goes so hard too it doesn't have the production quality of Body Bagz but its still dope.

Honestly Vijilantee, you have to be an individual to be anybody and at the same time, you need to hit all the right spots people fall for. Make videos, get high quality sound too. People love a professional feel and all the Pro's have been getting famous from music videos and production quality since forever.

Work on increasing your vocab and incorporate something knowledgeable into your music, something people can learn from or even relate to. Think about how you got interested in certain rappers and the things that caught your ear. You don't need to worry about anyone except your inspirations and people you think are raw. If you try and target everyone, you'll just get that generic sound. Think about all the greats, you can't even compare anyone to them. They all have their own style, but they all took a little bit of knowledge from their favorites and created something new with it.

Last thing, make music your life. I mean that literally, if you want to be a rapper. Be rap. I started making everything rap. My life eventually became a never ending song that just plays. Everything is a part of the beat and everyone's words and thoughts are the lyrics. I even try and listen to someones flow when they are just talking, it's kind of a curse now. Look around you and take everything as inspiration. People love what they can relate to, if you just keep it real and rap about real life and your surroundings, you'll make it.
Grandmaster
Grandmaster
Registered Member
https://twitter.com/JustAUserHandle

Wed 12 Sep 2012 - 16:18
Wanna get publicity, diss the shit out of everyone. Hopsin 2
whufcwesthamunited
Registered Member

Wed 12 Sep 2012 - 17:00
King Suicide wrote:Wanna get publicity, diss the shit out of everyone. Hopsin 2

Then how come The Jokerr is not famous? Hopsin 5
Grandmaster
Grandmaster
Registered Member
https://twitter.com/JustAUserHandle

Wed 12 Sep 2012 - 17:31
whufcwesthamunited wrote:

He is considerably more famous than he was before the dissing.
Chokey
Chokey
Registered Member

Wed 12 Sep 2012 - 18:28
King Suicide wrote:

yeah cause you cannot be less famous from macking a track. but that doesn't mean anybody likes it.
Chokey
Chokey
Registered Member

Wed 12 Sep 2012 - 18:30
King Suicide wrote:

yeah cause you cannot be less famous from macking a track. but that doesn't mean anybody likes it.
King
King
Registered Member

Wed 12 Sep 2012 - 21:36

Don't do this SwizZz 3 (unless you truly want to say something that's bothering you)
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Wed 12 Sep 2012 - 22:34

because he looks and sounds like a fag.

also Hopsin dissed mainstream rappers,
Perfect Stranger
Perfect Stranger
Registered Member

Thu 13 Sep 2012 - 7:54
I've actually going a song I'll be uploading to YouTube in a few days called, "Call Me An Asshole", which is remix of Sag My Pants, so its like some Slim Shady/ Hopsin type vibe, with slick rhymes and that, but because I don't want to be pigeonholed as the funny rapper or the try hard or whatever.

For me money is a major issue, although I've been offered studio time for free in the holidays, just being so eager too get my music heard, but as its been highlighted my sound quality is dodgy, also obtaining a decent video camera, although maybe I could get the Youth Centre near where I live to lend me one?
I think its a flip cam, would that be decent quality?

I was thinking about doing weekly cyphers, just to create some hype, is that a bad idea?

Im startin producing so Ill probably be dealing with this soon. My advice, is get on as many websites as you can like this, and dont spam, but you can still get the word out about what you do and maybe share a video or two on a site. Everything counts. I didnt know you were an artist yourself untill just now so now im gonna check out your videos. Wouldnt of even happen if you werent on here. Just keep grinded man.

Thanks man, for taking the time out, hope you enjoy!
Also, I'd be keen to hear some of your instrumentals in the future, if you could keep me updated.
I think I might join a couple more forums, network etc. then after settling in, post a video or too.

DGCK wrote:
41OMaXiMuS wrote:

You need to man! It's so sick. No bull, its my jam. I showed it to the homies, we bump that shit. I'm always saying shit like... "There goes your dreams.. BETTER CALL FREDDY UP!" or "I gotta dip... Like a chip in the cheese."

'Snap' goes so hard too it doesn't have the production quality of Body Bagz but its still dope.

Honestly Vijilantee, you have to be an individual to be anybody and at the same time, you need to hit all the right spots people fall for. Make videos, get high quality sound too. People love a professional feel and all the Pro's have been getting famous from music videos and production quality since forever.

Work on increasing your vocab and incorporate something knowledgeable into your music, something people can learn from or even relate to. Think about how you got interested in certain rappers and the things that caught your ear. You don't need to worry about anyone except your inspirations and people you think are raw. If you try and target everyone, you'll just get that generic sound. Think about all the greats, you can't even compare anyone to them. They all have their own style, but they all took a little bit of knowledge from their favorites and created something new with it.

Last thing, make music your life. I mean that literally, if you want to be a rapper. Be rap. I started making everything rap. My life eventually became a never ending song that just plays. Everything is a part of the beat and everyone's words and thoughts are the lyrics. I even try and listen to someones flow when they are just talking, it's kind of a curse now. Look around you and take everything as inspiration. People love what they can relate to, if you just keep it real and rap about real life and your surroundings, you'll make it.

I'm actually written a song about a major historical event that happened recently, (which I won't disclose at this point), but that might potentially give me a hand up.
I rap about my life, for example, "Come Get Some" is about people putting me down, family issues, mental illness and you know attempting to rise above it, but I see what you mean, I mean I don't know if everyone could relate to my story, because everyones life is different, but I assume most people have gone through one of the topics I touch, in that song, like bullying
Essentially, no ideas original, but you can create an original sound, right? So therefore, would I have to change my voice, flow, style?

On a side note, I reckon the stuache, is like your little signature, I didn't really expect it, but its cool. Hopsin 3
DGCK
DGCK
Registered Member

Thu 13 Sep 2012 - 14:34
Perfect Stranger wrote:I've actually going a song I'll be uploading to YouTube in a few days called, "Call Me An Asshole", which is remix of Sag My Pants, so its like some Slim Shady/ Hopsin type vibe, with slick rhymes and that, but because I don't want to be pigeonholed as the funny rapper or the try hard or whatever.

For me money is a major issue, although I've been offered studio time for free in the holidays, just being so eager too get my music heard, but as its been highlighted my sound quality is dodgy, also obtaining a decent video camera, although maybe I could get the Youth Centre near where I live to lend me one?
I think its a flip cam, would that be decent quality?

I was thinking about doing weekly cyphers, just to create some hype, is that a bad idea?

Thanks man, for taking the time out, hope you enjoy!
Also, I'd be keen to hear some of your instrumentals in the future, if you could keep me updated.
I think I might join a couple more forums, network etc. then after settling in, post a video or too.

DGCK wrote:
41OMaXiMuS wrote:

I'm actually written a song about a major historical event that happened recently, (which I won't disclose at this point), but that might potentially give me a hand up.
I rap about my life, for example, "Come Get Some" is about people putting me down, family issues, mental illness and you know attempting to rise above it, but I see what you mean, I mean I don't know if everyone could relate to my story, because everyones life is different, but I assume most people have gone through one of the topics I touch, in that song, like bullying
Essentially, no ideas original, but you can create an original sound, right? So therefore, would I have to change my voice, flow, style?

On a side note, I reckon the stuache, is like your little signature, I didn't really expect it, but its cool. Hopsin 3

World events are always an awesome topic! I'd like to hear your Sag My Pants remix and some other stuff to see how you progress. It's a faster song than the one I've heard from ya and should show off your capabilities a little better. You can definitely write well, that's the most important thing. Keep it up.
Jeet
Jeet
Registered Member

Fri 14 Sep 2012 - 5:30
"Oh, I guess a video's what it takes to be dope now
Sounds like an excuse people use when their lyrics broke down." - Street Light
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Fri 14 Sep 2012 - 7:17
Jeet wrote:"Oh, I guess a video's what it takes to be dope now

you saying his lyrics are bad?
Jeet
Jeet
Registered Member

Fri 14 Sep 2012 - 7:41
STRANGEgenius wrote:

I haven't heard any of his music lol
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Fri 14 Sep 2012 - 7:54
Jeet wrote:
STRANGEgenius wrote:

I haven't heard any of his music lol

ohh, lol.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum