Hopsin Forums - Undercover Prodigy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
DGCK
DGCK
Registered Member

Track4Track Review: Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city Empty Track4Track Review: Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city

Mon 29 Oct 2012 - 19:57
5/5 *****

An absolutely amazing freshman album.

What's to be expected:
An ongoing story with every skit and track applying to the theme of the album.

Kendrick's unique (and sometimes awkward) style. (voice changing, new flows)

A real MC. This album isn't an average 'braggathon' about fame and fortune.

Very high-caliber lyricism and MC skill. He brings a heavy amount of metaphors, homophones, and a lot of far above-average word play.

Track4Track Review: Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city 220px-KendrickGKMCTrack4Track Review: Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city 220px-KendrickGKMCDeluxe

This is a great story Kendrick tells through amazing narrative and MC skills. It's definitely the type of album that you want to listen to all the way through, and I do each time. You wouldn't even understand some of the songs without the skits included. The production and beats are perfectly executed for the tempo and vibe of this album. It's a little on the depressing side but watching Kendrick rise to where he is now throughout the album is inspirational and brings some joy to the listener. As the title says, this album is about Kendrick, a good kid, in a mad city, Compton.

I've attempted to color most of the parts with plot from the story.

1. Sherane a.k.a Master Splinter's Daughter - This track includes a 30 second intro skit with a spoken prayer. It signifies the impact of religion on Kendrick. Even if he's not a Christian, it's in his life, probably family and friends. The song is a story of a girl, Sherane, which he met at a party. He was attracted and they became closer, then eventually texted over the summer. They really got to know one another leading to him borrowing his Mom's van and heading to another neighborhood (hers) to meet up and fuck. When he arrives he is approached by two people in black hoodies. The song suddenly cuts out in suspense and he receives a funny voice mail from his Mom and Dad about bringing the van back. They are oblivious to the danger he's in. The album is one story told through many others and the story of him meeting with this girl is the most detailed. This track is a foreshadowing of that. He rewinds a bit during the rest of the album before leading back up to the events in this song. The instrumental is excellent for the story telling, adding to the creepy and dark sound. I'd say this is the most important track on the album.

(On a side note, I believe the title implies the girl being a hood-'rat'. Considering the Master Splinter reference, I'd say Kendrick is a Ninja Turtles fan!)

2. Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe - This provides the feeling of an opening track. I think done on purpose, as the intro track felt like sort of a prelude to me. This has a slow settling instrumental and it's content is mostly Kendrick talking about where he's at in life presently and letting other people know not to fuck with him. He says what he's all about and that he recognizes the fake people around him now that he's got wealth and fame. It's kind of a statement on the album, showing where he's made it to after all the tragic events and shit he's had to go through.
It ends with a short skit, leading back into the story at the very beginning. His friends pull up to his house and they tell him to jump in the car. "Nigga I got a pack of Blacks and a beat CD. Get your freestyles ready."

3. Backseat Freestyle - Great Hit Boy produced track. When this one was released as a sing it was very questionable as far as Kendrick Lyric content, but when listened to in the story its appropriate. After hopping into the car with his friends he starts free-styling typical things kids rap about with their friends. It's a nice follow up to track with a hook that says "Kendrick has a dream...- All my life I want money and power" and the last song referring to how he's come to be rich and famous. This is a fun track with ridiculous word play. It's got a lot of party potential but still fits into this dark album.

4. The Art of Peer Pressure - The mood settles down from the freestyle. It really forces you into the groove of the album. They are still in the car, there is four of them, now driving around acting hard and breaking the law. Kendrick seems to be aware that he's fucking up but he's enjoying looking "cool" to his friends and the people the see throughout the track. In the first verse is the four of them rolling around getting high and liquored up. In the second verse, they make it to a wealthy side of town to talk to girls and such. Here they end up fighting some people there for wearing the wrong colors. In the next verse the sun is going down and they get to a house they've been watching for a couple months and do a B&E. They make it out with a lot of expensive stuff, even with someone in the home. The cops begin to chase them and they get away safe. In the end of the song there's an interlude set earlier that day where they talk about committing the robbery. In the skit Kendrick hits a laced blunt, which he's stated in earlier interviews, is the reason he doesn't smoke weed. They also talk about dropping Kendrick off at his house to borrow his Mom's van to meet up with Sharane from the scene in track 1.
This is a touching song plenty of people can relate to. The first minute has a slow intro with lots of tribal drums, a piano loop and vocal synth. On the intro he raps about doing drugs due to influence from friends. It's a solid message that leads into the more toned down body of the song. It's got a nice unique beat with Kendrick flowing over it with ease.

5. Money Trees Ft. Jay Rock and Anna Wise - Money Trees brightens up the mood a little bit with a synthy instrumental. He's reflecting on the previous tracks. The second verse has Kendrick looking back on his high school years and how he was poor and the time his uncle was shot. The hook and bridge are solid and Anna Wise makes her first appearance, keeping it a little G for herself. Jay Rock spits a great verse about the hood and gang-banging to follow up Kendrick's second verse where his uncle was killed due to gang violence. There is a skit in the end of this track. Kendrick's Mom is calling again (with his Dad in the background high) asking about the car. This is probably happening while he's having his encounter with the guys in hoodies at Sherane's house.

6. Poetic Justice Ft. Drake - Great track with a really classic Janet Jackson sample. This is a slow jam for the ladies. He does great on the first verse. Most of the lyrical content in Kendrick's verses is based on sexual innuendos. Drake's verse is fitting. It's a little cliche to have Drake on this song and beat, but it's fitting and I'm glad it was on this one rather than a serious track. Drake's verse is just him flowing on about females. The way I interpret the placement of this track is possibly a song he was playing on the way to Sherane's or to set the mood for the next skit. The skit in the end of the track is a scene when Kendrick arrives at Sherane's place and is getting interrogated by the people she set up to jump him.

7. good kid - This track is set in the next day, at least I think so from a line in the song. It's sort of the turn around point from the cocky, influenced Kendrick, into what he's to become. After being jumped by Sherane's boys he's mad. On this song he shows it. He talks about how his city is and compares it to his innocence. Even though he's a 'good kid', he's clearly angry and getting ready to lose it. The gangs, crime and even police in Compton are driving him insane. This is one of the most lyrical tracks on the album. There is a lot to find in the verses, I recognize a little more each listen.

8. m.A.A.d city Ft. MC Eiht - I love the beats on this one. Kendrick rips the first half of this heavy hitter. Most of the lyrics here are based on crime in the streets of his 'Mad city'. He talks again about personal experiences with murder and the way of life in Compton streets. There is a whole buncha' word play hidden throughout this song. He uses a clever way with words to make something everyone can listen and relate to, while still delivering his positive message. Halfway through the track the beat switches up to a grimy west coast sound. I don't know which of the beats I like more. On Kendrick's 2nd verse here he spits about his past and interestingly throws in a line about when the first blunt he ever smoked got laced. It's pretty crazy. Afterwords MC Eiht comes in with some of the hardest bars on the entire album. Eiht raps about growing up in the hood, keeping it G and like Kendrick, delivering some first-hand experiences to help the listener understand the story. The outro skit is Kendrick's friends passing him a bottle after the experiences at Sherane's house. They tell him to chill out and drink, leading perfectly into 'Swimming Pools'.

9. Swimming Pools - A well known single here with an ill beat. This radio banger is really legit. I love the beat and the progression of Kendricks flow before singing on the hook. The song is about the troubles and pleasures of drinking. It's almost an ode to drinking, but at the same time this song definitely delivers a message expressing the dangers of becoming overtaken by alcohol. Like the last song, it has a tricky delivery method. You can party to this song, or use it as an example of a positive song. He shares his family history with alcohol and the results of peer pressure mixed with alcohol. The extended album version has a small verse at the end and a skit continuing from the last one. They talk about the incident and go back to retaliate. In the midst of the shootout Kendrick's friend, Dave, is hit and shot dead. The skit ends with the brother of the victim screaming.

10. Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst - Another two beat track like 'm.A.A.d city'. This song is an incredible continuation of the stories Kendrick tells through this album and Section .80. It's surprisingly well written and eerie. The hook opens the song and it's sang by Kendrick in a high pitch. Verse one is Kendrick rapping from the point of view of the boy screaming at the end of the last skit. He's talking to Kendrick about how crazy things can get in the hood and that he's aware of the ignorance they all succumb to. He's thanking Kendrick for being a good friend to his brother. In the middle of speaking, at the end of this verse, the character's sentence is cut short and he's shot as well. Verse two is an awesome pickup from 'Keisha's Song' a song about a prostitute that is eventually raped and murdered on Section .80. Like the last verse, it's the sibling of someone that Kendrick raps about. This one is Keisha's sister telling Kendrick it was wrong to talk about her sister's life style of prostitution and her vulgar death. This verse suddenly ends as well, with a fade out of the 'girl's' words, perhaps she died like the brother on the last verse. Verse three is Kendrick addressing the messages of the previous verses. The skit in the end of this track is voiced by Maya Angelou. She talks to the boys after the death of Dave in the shootout. She has them pray to god and tells them they need religion and all that jazz.

11. Real Ft. Anna Wise - Real is a slow paced 'wrap-up' song to close out on all the madness that happened in the end of the album. After the easy going prayer skit prior, the song kind of reflects on the type of people throughout the album. It starts with the hook sang by Anna Wise. I felt like the hook got a little repetitive but it's enticing and a bit trancy for anyone completely sucked into the album. The opening verse Kendrick speaks about materialistic chicks. He seems to be fascinated by them, regardless of if they aren't 'real'. Kendrick embraces them even if they aren't the right type of people. The next set he raps about thugs and the type of people bred in a mad city. He embraces them as well and moves on to the next verse reflecting on both of those types of people, wondering if he should love or hate those people for who they are, even though he has a different attitude. A skit closes this track out. A couple more messages from his parents. They are obviously worried about him at this point, as they still haven't seen or heard from him since he took the van in the first song. His pops gives him some life lessons and talks about what's 'real', fitting in with the song. Next his Mother complains about the van then talks about Kendrick's attitude towards his life and especially musically. She mentions that if he ever makes it big, he needs to represent his city and the importance of the place you come from. Appropriate for the next track. There is a fast forward noise and Compton begins.

12. Compton Ft. Dr. Dre - This song has a big sound with lots of real instruments in the track. It's an amazing Just Blaze produced track and you can tell from the quality of this beat. They go back and forth on verses talking about Compton and the way the came up. This track worked very well with the album, after Kendrick's mother told him to represent Compton when he gets famous and how he does exactly that on this track based in present time. The subjects in this song are all the types of things rapped about in the album. The album ends with Kendrick heading out the door in the beginning of the story. "Mamma I'm boutta' use the van real quick, be back in 15 minutes!" Unfortunately he ending up getting jumped, doing a bunch of drugs and getting involved in a few assaults and homicides.

There are a lot of bonus tracks on different versions of the album. I just included the main body that is in all of these albums, the 12 track story.

Last edited by DGCK on Tue 30 Oct 2012 - 14:22; edited 2 times in total
Buddie
Buddie
Registered Member

Track4Track Review: Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city Empty Re: Track4Track Review: Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city

Mon 29 Oct 2012 - 20:46
Very good review! For some reason, I'm just not feeling this album like everyone else. I realize that Kendrick is a very good/talented rapper, but I just don't like his music.
DGCK
DGCK
Registered Member

Track4Track Review: Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city Empty Re: Track4Track Review: Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city

Mon 29 Oct 2012 - 20:52
Buddie wrote:Very good review! For some reason, I'm just not feeling this album like everyone else. I realize that Kendrick is a very good/talented rapper, but I just don't like his music.

Even though he's def one of my faves, It's real easy for me to see how someone could steer away from his style haha
Buddie
Buddie
Registered Member

Mon 29 Oct 2012 - 21:25
DGCK wrote:
Buddie wrote:Very good review! For some reason, I'm just not feeling this album like everyone else. I realize that Kendrick is a very good/talented rapper, but I just don't like his music.

Even though he's def one of my faves, It's real easy for me to see how someone could steer away from his style haha

The kid is good, no doubt about that. But I just don't enjoy his music. I'm glad to see that this album sold as much as it did and the future of Hip Hop is bright.

The era of whack mainstream rap (2005-present) is slowly dying and great artists like Kendrick and Hopsin are rising.
Chokey
Chokey
Registered Member

Mon 29 Oct 2012 - 21:31
I agree with you. I dont feel the album. I reliaze as well as you that he is a great rapper and normally I like (some of) his music but I don't think the album is that great :/
But some of the songs are good mixed. The beat on The Art of Peer Pressure is really from a danish song that has been mixed very good.

Great review but I just dont feel the things you do.
Jeet
Jeet
Registered Member

Mon 29 Oct 2012 - 21:49
5/5 really? Wow. DGCK please confirm this is a PERFECT album before I go listen to it, damn.

Excellent review, as always man.

Just a small note: I'd like to hear more of your opinions on each track regarding the lyrical & MC'ing skills displayed, rather than just recounting what happens in the record. But otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed the read and I think you've got me convinced, I may go out and buy this album to give it a good listen. Thumbs Up
Buddie
Buddie
Registered Member

Mon 29 Oct 2012 - 21:52
Jeet wrote:5/5 really? Wow. DGCK please confirm this is a PERFECT album before I go listen to it, damn.

Just a small note: I'd like to hear more of your opinions on each track regarding the lyrical & MC'ing skills displayed, rather than just recounting what happens in the record. But otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed the read and I think you've got me convinced, I may go out and buy this album to give it a good listen. Track4Track Review: Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city 1476364148

Most people I've talked to love the album. You should definitely check it out! It's probably the album of the year.

Personally, I didn't like it but there are tons of people who think it's great.
King
King
Registered Member

Mon 29 Oct 2012 - 23:44
I like it but it's not something I would go back to listen to tbh.
Kendrick did a good job Thumbs Up
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Tue 30 Oct 2012 - 0:28
i might just check this album out.
liftthat
liftthat
Registered Member

Tue 30 Oct 2012 - 1:02
Good review bru.

I like this album a lot, possibly even love it. I'm not so sure about that 5/5 rating though, I'd give the album a solid 4/5 atm.
Try not to get caught in the hype tbh. I think the album is definitely better than S.80, which in these times is rare. On S.80 there were a few filler tracks that didn't really belong, for this album he pretty much eliminated that problem & made it much more cohesive. My favorite song right now is probably Sing About Me/Dying of Thirst, specifically Dying of Thirst because it hits me in a particular manner.

Tired of running, tired of hunting...my own kind Crying Crying
Jeet
Jeet
Registered Member

Tue 30 Oct 2012 - 1:05
The whole premise of this album sounds a lot like raekwon's OB4CL
DGCK
DGCK
Registered Member

Tue 30 Oct 2012 - 14:14
Jeet wrote:5/5 really? Wow. DGCK please confirm this is a PERFECT album before I go listen to it, damn.

Just a small note: I'd like to hear more of your opinions on each track regarding the lyrical & MC'ing skills displayed, rather than just recounting what happens in the record. But otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed the read and I think you've got me convinced, I may go out and buy this album to give it a good listen. Thumbs Up

I definitely didn't give him the lyrical credit this album deserves. Well, I do.. But I didn't go in depth as much as I could have on the MCing he brings. I guess I got a little overwhelmed by the the album as a whole. I really liked the instrumentals and it's just a fun listen. Honestly Kendrick always brings top of the line lyrics and word play. I'll add a little into the opening statement to get that point across. Thanks btw :)
anthonyFv
Registered Member

Tue 30 Oct 2012 - 15:29
I thought it was a very good album, however I feel like the highpoints on this album were not as great as they could have been.If you listen to Section #80, all together it is not as great but the best songs on their I.E. Fuck Your Ethnicity,Ronald Reagan Era,Rigamortus,Poe Man's Dreams,etc were much better in my opinion than the best songs on here.I also felt like their were a few tracks that were just throw-ins like "Real" or "Now Or Never" and I will never listen to those songs again.With all that being said still fuckin loved this album.My fav tracks included M.A.A.D City,Money Trees,AOPP,Sing About Me,Black Boy Fly,and Collect Calls(better than a lot of the songs on the physical CD)
BTW, Great Review (I tryed to review this and could not satisfy myself so I stopped)
CANT WAIT FOR Kendrick/J.Cole album dropping in the next couple months now!!!
DGCK
DGCK
Registered Member

Wed 31 Oct 2012 - 19:51
anthonyFv wrote:I thought it was a very good album, however I feel like the highpoints on this album were not as great as they could have been.If you listen to Section #80, all together it is not as great but the best songs on their I.E. Fuck Your Ethnicity,Ronald Reagan Era,Rigamortus,Poe Man's Dreams,etc were much better in my opinion than the best songs on here.I also felt like their were a few tracks that were just throw-ins like "Real" or "Now Or Never" and I will never listen to those songs again.With all that being said still fuckin loved this album.My fav tracks included M.A.A.D City,Money Trees,AOPP,Sing About Me,Black Boy Fly,and Collect Calls(better than a lot of the songs on the physical CD)
BTW, Great Review (I tryed to review this and could not satisfy myself so I stopped)

liftthat wrote:Good review bru.

I like this album a lot, possibly even love it. I'm not so sure about that 5/5 rating though, I'd give the album a solid 4/5 atm.
Try not to get caught in the hype tbh. I think the album is definitely better than S.80, which in these times is rare. On S.80 there were a few filler tracks that didn't really belong, for this album he pretty much eliminated that problem & made it much more cohesive. My favorite song right now is probably Sing About Me/Dying of Thirst, specifically Dying of Thirst because it hits me in a particular manner.

I thought you guys had good opinions to hold up to one another. While S.80 did have those "high points" Anthony points out, as an 'album' (which section 80 is not) it doesn't content well with GKMC because like lift said, it's got some holes and a bit of filler.

As far as the highpoints. I think they were ment to be a bit dull. I don't think this album was supposed to throw any excitement or positive pleasure into the listener. I feel like Kendrick wanted people to feel the sorrow the story brought, which is why he strayed from any happy tracks. Compton could possibly be noted as one. Backseat Freestyle on the other hand is ironic. It's more contradicting when listened to in context of the album.

And to lift on getting caught up in the hype and stuff. I feel like I'm the main person feeling the album THIS much lol. I really think it deserves 5/5. A lot of people will go back and re-listen to it in years to come and understand why this was so necessary in building the foundation of a legendary career that I think Kendrick will have as opposed to the regular stand-outs. This really reminds me of Nirvana's Nevermind in a way. Initially the album was really hyped and plenty of people said over hyped. Even rolling stone bashed it at first. It did get plenty of praising at the time, but anyone who said it was average or under the hype back then would bite their tongue today for sure. It's easy to see why that album was needed not only for rock progression but for Nirvana's career to become what it turned into. That said, the brilliance in GKMC my not be recognizable now but looking back on his career it will be important. Though it may not be his 'Mona Lisa or Nevermind' He's definitely capable of making something better than this. Just a comparison.
41OMaXiMuS
41OMaXiMuS
Registered Member
https://www.youtube.com/user/410maximus

Wed 31 Oct 2012 - 19:54
Lil Wayne >

TBH
DGCK
DGCK
Registered Member

Wed 31 Oct 2012 - 21:05
41OMaXiMuS wrote:Lil Wayne >

TBH

He's way more fly than us.
anthonyFv
Registered Member

Wed 31 Oct 2012 - 21:29
41OMaXiMuS wrote:Lil Wayne >

TBH
Track4Track Review: Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city Tracey-morgan-nope
anthonyFv
Registered Member

Wed 31 Oct 2012 - 21:35
DGCK wrote:
anthonyFv wrote:I thought it was a very good album, however I feel like the highpoints on this album were not as great as they could have been.If you listen to Section #80, all together it is not as great but the best songs on their I.E. Fuck Your Ethnicity,Ronald Reagan Era,Rigamortus,Poe Man's Dreams,etc were much better in my opinion than the best songs on here.I also felt like their were a few tracks that were just throw-ins like "Real" or "Now Or Never" and I will never listen to those songs again.With all that being said still fuckin loved this album.My fav tracks included M.A.A.D City,Money Trees,AOPP,Sing About Me,Black Boy Fly,and Collect Calls(better than a lot of the songs on the physical CD)

liftthat wrote:Good review bru.

I thought you guys had good opinions to hold up to one another. While S.80 did have those "high points" Anthony points out, as an 'album' (which section 80 is not) it doesn't content well with GKMC because like lift said, it's got some holes and a bit of filler.

As far as the highpoints. I think they were ment to be a bit dull. I don't think this album was supposed to throw any excitement or positive pleasure into the listener. I feel like Kendrick wanted people to feel the sorrow the story brought, which is why he strayed from any happy tracks. Compton could possibly be noted as one. Backseat Freestyle on the other hand is ironic. It's more contradicting when listened to in context of the album.

And to lift on getting caught up in the hype and stuff. I feel like I'm the main person feeling the album THIS much lol. I really think it deserves 5/5. A lot of people will go back and re-listen to it in years to come and understand why this was so necessary in building the foundation of a legendary career that I think Kendrick will have as opposed to the regular stand-outs. This really reminds me of Nirvana's Nevermind in a way. Initially the album was really hyped and plenty of people said over hyped. Even rolling stone bashed it at first. It did get plenty of praising at the time, but anyone who said it was average or under the hype back then would bite their tongue today for sure. It's easy to see why that album was needed not only for rock progression but for Nirvana's career to become what it turned into. That said, the brilliance in GKMC my not be recognizable now but looking back on his career it will be important. Though it may not be his 'Mona Lisa or Nevermind' He's definitely capable of making something better than this. Just a comparison.
I agree with this now.After reconsideration GKMC is better.Also when I see his interviews and his perspective and background on the album,I appreciate it much more than just listening too it. it became much more personal and I really like and respect Kendrick more than I used too.
Section 80 was dope but GKMC WILL be listened to for ages. I seem to overanalyze new albums especially really hyped ones like this at first and think it is almost dissapointing and then I listen to it over and think its the greatest shit ever made and get to hyped about it. And after that I level up and have a rational perspective on it and that is the more reasonable opinion you will get from me.(I did this with both the Lupe and Macklemore album 2)
liftthat
liftthat
Registered Member

Thu 1 Nov 2012 - 2:46
Track4Track Review: Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city H0I6e
Track4Track Review: Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city 4QXYm
Track4Track Review: Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city JVrZ3
Registered Member

Thu 1 Nov 2012 - 4:02
liftthat wrote:Track4Track Review: Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city H0I6e

LMFAOOOOOO

You used the Kendrick GPS huh?

STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Thu 1 Nov 2012 - 4:34
liftthat wrote:Track4Track Review: Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d city H0I6e

that laST ONW lmfAOOOO
DGCK
DGCK
Registered Member

Thu 1 Nov 2012 - 5:11
HopNation wrote:

LOL.

https://youtu.be/P3lAcgknPIk?t=1m29s
Registered Member

Thu 1 Nov 2012 - 6:20
DGCK wrote:
HopNation wrote:

LOL.

https://youtu.be/P3lAcgknPIk?t=1m29s

OMG LMFAOOOO
Jeet
Jeet
Registered Member

Wed 21 Nov 2012 - 9:37
Ok this album has been on repeat for my whole plane ride. I am literally blown away. I truly think it deserves the hype and it is one of the most unique records I have ever heard. I am 100% certain in 5-10 years this will be a certified classic. Simply incredible.

Last edited by Jeet on Thu 22 Nov 2012 - 6:07; edited 1 time in total
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Wed 21 Nov 2012 - 12:08
Jeet wrote:Ok this album has been on repeat for my whole plane ride. I am literally blown away. I truly think it deserves the hype and it is one of the most unique records I have ever heard. I am 100% certain in 5-10 this will be a certified classic. Simply incredible.

i feel the same way.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum