Hopsin Forums - Undercover Prodigy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Jeet
Jeet
Registered Member

The Slim Shady LP Review Empty The Slim Shady LP Review

Mon 10 Sep 2012 - 9:58
The Slim Shady LP Review
Okay, so I was sitting at home trying to think of a dope album I could review for the competition. I figured I would review an album that is considered by many to be a turning point in hip hop, and the start of an illustrious career. That’s right, I’m talking about the Slim Shady LP. You ready?

The Slim Shady LP Review Slim_shady_front

Album Art
A boardwalk in the middle of nowhere with Eminem somewhere in the distance apparently by his daughter. I’m not really sure what he is trying to accomplish. The body in the trunk of the car serves no purpose, and that giant moon is completely unrealistic. I’m thinking Eminem just let his label taking a giant turd on photoshop and slap a parental advisory sticker on it.

2. My Name Is (skipping the completely unnecessary Public Service Announcement)
First off, this single is what put Eminem on the map, and it’s what built the massive hype for this album. However, the beat is simplistic, and his flow is basically non-existant here. He is talk-rapping and granted, his lyrics may be a bit outlandish and funny at times, but it’s nothing Chino XL or Ol’ Dirty Bastard haven’t done before. Eminem himself admitted he hates this song (look it up)
Memorable lines: “99% of my life I was lied to/I just found out my mom does more dope than I do”

3. Guilty Conscience (feat. Dr. Dre)
Ok, this song narrates 3 scenarios where the guy has to decide which moral route to take. Not only is the concept pretty superficial, slim is talk-rapping again. I’m not getting into dre’s verse on this one, let’s just say it’s consistent with all the other lyrics he’s “written”.
Memorable lines: “While you’re at work she’s with some dude tryna get off/Fuck slitting her throat, cut this bitch’s head off”

4. Brain Damage

Ok, so we’ve arrived at the first story-telling track of the album. His monotonous flow slightly develops here, although the rhyme schemes and use of compound syllables leave much to be desired. His ability to “bend” words so they rhyme is a high point though. It basically outlines his struggles during high school in a highly exaggerated story.
Memorable lines: “She beat me over the head with the remote control/opened a hole/and my whole brain fell outta my skull”

5. Paul (skit)
Stupid.

6. If I Had
Ok, so here we have the first of many Eminem sob stories complaining how much his life sucks. He complains how life’s not fair and that he’s treated like shit. Lyrics aren’t very innovative but the production shines here.
Memorable lines: “[I’m] tired of being fired every time I fart and cough”

7. 97’ Bonnie & Clyde
In this track slim resorts back to talk-rapping again to make up for his flow. There are some clever lyrics and dre works his magic with the production. However, there is little emotion in this and all we hear is Eminem trying to justify the murder of his wife.
Memorable lyrics: “There goes mama spwashing in the water/No more fighting with dad/No more restraining order”

8. Bitch (skit)
Wtf.

9. Role Model
We’ve arrived at what I consider to be the first real hip hop song on the album. To be honest, His use of internals and rhyme schemes sound simplistic and the lyrics evoke no meaning at all, however I guess it’s a fun track to kick back to. It also contains a diss(?) to canibus in the opening lines.
Memorable lines: “My middle finger won’t go down, how do I wave”

10. Lounge (skit)
A prelude to the next song.

11. My Fault
Here we get talk-rapping Eminem overdose a random broad and panic like a motherfucker. The dialogue here is clever, in that he managed to make (what sounded like) a normal conversation rhyme. This beat pretty poor, but Eminem does do it some justice by not rapping for the first 18 seconds.
Memorable lines: “I wasn’t trying to turn this into something major/I just wanted to make you appreciate nature”

12. Ken Kaniff (skit)
Originally voiced by Aristotle (an underground Detroit rapper), a weird phone call by a homosexual predator.

13. Cum on Everybody
An enjoyable song, good to chill to. Again, the lyrics are nothing special but the beat makes it something to nod your head to. This also serves as a prelude to “Drug Ballad” on the Marshal Mathers LP.
Memorable lines: “I’m freestyling every verse that I spit/Cuz I don’t even remember the words to my shit”

14. Rock Bottom
Another Eminem sob story. Lyrics are superficial and he fails to elicit any kind of emotion to the listener, it’s just him moaning about his circumstances. I guess his anger does result in some enjoyable flows.
Memorable lines: “I’m about burst this tec/At somebody to reverse this debt”

15. Just Don’t Give a Fuck
Eminem does surprisingly well on this quite abstract beat. He recycles lines from his battle rhyming days here, not very impressive but the lyrics are passable. It’s pretty much a song about nothing and doesn’t accomplish much, not to mention the music video is fucked up.
Memorable lines: “You ain’t gon’ sell two copies if you press a double album”

16. Soap (skit)
Do any of these skits have any purpose?

17. As The World Turns
A comical track where slim yet again showcases is storytelling skills. The rhyme schemes and his flow returns back to the basics, but a good track to kick back to.
Memorable lines: “Just tryna buy me some time and then I remembered this magic trick/Dun Dun-dun dun-dunn dunn go go gadget dick”

18. I’m Shady
We arrive at yet another “fun” track, basically eminem spreading negative messages and advocating drug use/violence. The hook is horrible, but there are some clever lyrics in between.
Memorable lines: “How you gon’ scare somebody with a gun threat/when they’re high off the drugs they haven’t even done yet”

19. Bad Meets Evil (feat. Royce Da 5’9”)
I’m gonna go ahead and skip the horrible Royce verse. Eminem actually does the track some justice by making up for royce’s horrible verse, and tells you what they’re all about. The intro and outro also don’t make any sense in context.
Memorable lines: “This is Bad Meets Evil….See you in hell for the sequel”

20. Still Don’t Give a Fuck
Okay, so we’ve FINALLY arrived at the final track of the album. Eminem’s clever rhyming surfaces a bit here, but the bland production by dre inhibits his full potential. This is actually my favourite track of the album, and while it lacks any lyrical complexity, it’s a good track to kick back too when you just don’t give a fuck anymore.
Memorable lines:“I walked into a gun fight with a knife to kill you/And cut you so fast when your blood spilled it was still blue”

"This album is sometimes considered modern day poetry. But it's not. The skits are worthless, and somehow cut the flow of the album. If you exclude aforementioned skits, the album is a shorter fourteen tracks. Some raps like My Name Is tend to degrade, making it harder to listen to." - (http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/44582/Eminem-The-Slim-Shady-LP/)
Overall, I guess it was a solid album for those who just look on the surface of hip hop. Compared to the albums pumping out in the 90’s it’s barely sub-par, but ushered a new era of white horrocore rappers. A solid release showcasing the extent of eminem’s skills.
I’ll leave the rating out of ten up to you.
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

The Slim Shady LP Review Empty Re: The Slim Shady LP Review

Mon 10 Sep 2012 - 10:04
this a great review, after a quick skim through.

Nice work bro.
Buddie
Buddie
Registered Member

Mon 10 Sep 2012 - 20:55
Good review! But I don't agree with it. This album is a classic and pretty much anyone will say so. Rock Bottom is a Top 20 Eminem song IMO. However, I think Cum On Everybody should have been left off the album and replaced with something else.

Btw, the dead body is Kim and the cover art completely fits the song '97 Bonnie And Clyde.
King
King
Registered Member

Mon 10 Sep 2012 - 21:15
Technical ability 8.5/10
Overall message 6/10
Average 7/10

Knightmare
Knightmare
Registered Member

Mon 10 Sep 2012 - 21:25
Buddie wrote:Good review! But I don't agree with it. This album is a classic and pretty much anyone will say so. Rock Bottom is a Top 20 Eminem song IMO. However, I think Cum On Everybody should have been left off the album and replaced with something else.

Btw, the dead body is Kim and the cover art completely fits the song '97 Bonnie And Clyde.
I was trying to find a respectful way to say it. Good thing you did. All I could think of is "Wow. This is a good reviw ith the wording and all that, But this is the wrongest thing I have ever heard. Like Big L didn't promote violence. This sounds like it was written by either One Million Moms or GLAAD.
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Tue 11 Sep 2012 - 2:55
The Event wrote:
Buddie wrote:Good review! But I don't agree with it. This album is a classic and pretty much anyone will say so. Rock Bottom is a Top 20 Eminem song IMO. However, I think Cum On Everybody should have been left off the album and replaced with something else.

I was trying to find a respectful way to say it. Good thing you did. All I could think of is "Wow. This is a good reviw ith the wording and all that, But this is the wrongest thing I have ever heard. Like Big L didn't promote violence. This sounds like it was written by either One Million Moms or GLAAD.

lol what?
Knightmare
Knightmare
Registered Member

Tue 11 Sep 2012 - 3:01
STRANGEgenius wrote:
The Event wrote:

lol what?
Well, a Million Mothers campaign writes articles online about every potential harm for children. They wrote one for gay people (Which is stupid), and Ellen ad all that. And GLAAD hate Eminem. That is why it sounds like it was written by them.
King
King
Registered Member

Tue 11 Sep 2012 - 3:23
@ The Event yeah this review was pretty biased but still good nonetheless, it's his opinion and he tried to back it up so he did a good job anyways.

Well done Thumbs Up
Jeet
Jeet
Registered Member

Tue 11 Sep 2012 - 4:45
Well this troll failed. (excl. The Event)
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Tue 11 Sep 2012 - 7:46
Jeet wrote:Well this troll failed. (excl. The Event)

you revealed it too early... cunt.
Frankie
Administrator
https://twitter.com/HopsinForums

Tue 11 Sep 2012 - 7:49
I stopped reading at the album art, lmao. Expected troll.
Knightmare
Knightmare
Registered Member

Tue 11 Sep 2012 - 11:28
Cause I'm the only one stupid enough to argue about this. Haha. This seemed like your real standpoint on the album after all of this stuff you were saying about him.
Jeet
Jeet
Registered Member

Tue 11 Sep 2012 - 11:52
The Event wrote:
Cause I'm the only one stupid enough to argue about this. Haha. This seemed like your real standpoint on the album after all of this stuff you were saying about him.
Lmao. That was the point. SSLP is one of the best albums I've heard
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Tue 11 Sep 2012 - 11:57
Jeet wrote:
The Event wrote:
Lmao. That was the point. SSLP is one of the best albums I've heard

Hopsin 4 Hopsin 5 Hopsin 4 Hopsin 5 Hopsin 4 Hopsin 5 Hopsin Hopsin Hopsin Hopsin
anthonyFv
Registered Member

Wed 12 Sep 2012 - 22:52
One of the best albums of all time. thats all i wouldve said, but then again Im lazy
Essence
Essence
Registered Member

Sat 15 Sep 2012 - 18:21
What? Royce's verse was good in Bad Meets Evil.
Perfect Stranger
Perfect Stranger
Registered Member

Sat 29 Sep 2012 - 6:29
Emblem wrote:What? Royce's verse was good in Bad Meets Evil.

He was trolling Hopsin 2

Regardless, this was very articulate and even though you weren't serious you had a lot of good points.
Essence
Essence
Registered Member

Sat 29 Sep 2012 - 18:56
Perfect Stranger wrote:

He was trolling Hopsin 2

Regardless, this was very articulate and even though you weren't serious you had a lot of good points.
That was the only bad point though. It was believable because 90% of the points were valid.
King
King
Registered Member

Sat 29 Sep 2012 - 18:59

The Event is too easy to troll so it doesn't count Hopsin 3
Jeet
Jeet
Registered Member

Sat 29 Sep 2012 - 23:40
Emblem wrote:
Perfect Stranger wrote:

He was trolling Hopsin 2

That was the only bad point though. It was believable because 90% of the points were valid.
His flow was way off beat. He tried to fit too many words in one bar, and his rhyme scheme didn't really switch up enough. At least, not enough to keep up with eminem.
Perfect Stranger
Perfect Stranger
Registered Member

Sun 30 Sep 2012 - 7:17
Jeet wrote:
Emblem wrote:
Perfect Stranger wrote:

He was trolling Hopsin 2

His flow was way off beat. He tried to fit too many words in one bar, and his rhyme scheme didn't really switch up enough. At least, not enough to keep up with eminem.

My only critique is probably some of the skits, but he did have some memorable rhymes, MMLP is by far a better album, tbh.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum