Hopsin Forums - Undercover Prodigy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jon Connor - The People's Rapper LP (Mixtape Review)

+8
Perfect Stranger
Jeet
Essence
STRANGEgenius
Buddie
Chokey
achmed420
12 posters
Go down
achmed420
achmed420
Registered Member

Jon Connor - The People's Rapper LP (Mixtape Review) Empty Jon Connor - The People's Rapper LP (Mixtape Review)

Sat 1 Sep 2012 - 20:34
This is my first review so give me a little bit of a break if its not very good lol. I'm gonna be reviewing the mixtape "The People's Rapper LP" by Jon Connor. It was released on his birthday April 13, 2012 and is the 2nd mixtape in his "Best in the World" series and is all done over various Eminem beats.

1. Cold Wind Blows (Intro) - This was a very good introduction to the mixtape followed by some great bars. I think he chose the perfect beat from eminem's catalog for the intro. As Jon says at the end of the intro " That's How You Start a Motherfuckin Mixtape" 10/10

2. Till I Collapse - The beat is awsome and i'm pretty sure everyone has heard it before.On this track Connor delivers 3 solid verses talking about how hip hop all sounds the same now and how labels are just signing random ppl and giving them a template to follow so they sound like the rest. The hook is definetly not the best but it doesnt take too much away from the song. This is one of my favorite songs from this mixtape. 9/10

3. Cleaning Out My Closet - Jon Connor decided to take a different direction from what Eminem did on this beat. On this track Jon delivers 2 petty good verses talking about how everyone especially those close to him have doubted and hated on him. On this one Jon decided to take the hook straight from Eminem's track and added some of his own vocals to it as well but i feel like it really didnt fit the rest of the song. Not one of the best songs from the mixtape but still pretty good. 7.5/10

4. 8 Mile Road - This is another track where Jon decides to talk about how whack rappers are getting record deals and real talent is being sidelined and how he is going to prevail whether they like it or not. This is another very well delievered song and Jon switches up his flow in each one of the verses. The hook was again not that great but the verses totally make up for it. Another one of my favorites off this mixtape. 9/10

5. 25 To Life Ft. Lia Mack - This song starts off really well and Lia Mack (Jon Connor's sister) does a very good job with the hook. The first line of Jon's verse is what really pulled me in on this one. On this track Connor two incredible verses about how music has become his whole life that even when personal life situations arise he can't even deal with them beacuse he wants to please the fans, and how many artists have gone through the same but have been put on blast for their personal life situations. This is a very good song and defenetly one of the best on the mixtape. 10/10

6. Just Don't Give A Fuck - This song is pretty much just some dope bars. Jon Connor decides to show off one of his many styles and delivers punchline after punchline on this track. A very enjoyable track but the hook wasn't the best again. 8.5/10

7. The Way I Am - Jon Connor takes quite a similar direction as Eminem on this track. He delivers 2 verses tallking about how he is being criticized by critics and fans for his content and dont believe in him because of it. He decided to have the same hook as Eminem did on this song as well but this time it was with his voice and it fit the song a lot better. 8.5/10

8. Role Model - This is another track with just raw bars. Again the punchlines that Jon produces on are amazing. No hook on this one but definetly not needed. 8.5/10

9. Stan Ft. Lia Mack - This is a pretty deep song, as it should be. Jon takes this song and decided to make it a tribute to Biggie, Tupac, and MC Breed and takes each verse to discuss and acknowlege how each of them have influenced his career and hip hop itself. Lia Mack does amazing with hook again. Another top song from this mixtape. 10/10

10. Soldier - Jon Connor Pretty much takes this track and talks about how he way ahead of a lot of rappers in the game. This song is delivered quite well and a great pump up song. 10/10

11. 40 Oz Ft. Caas Swift, Brandon Bars, Mickey Wallace, & Lyric Da Queen - This track was pretty much for his crew more than him. I'm not really a fan of this track however Mickey Wallace, Lyric Da Queen, and Jon Connor killed this track but the first 2 verses just ruins it for me. 7.5

12. Lose Yourself - The intro to this song is a cut from an interview with Eminem that talks about how hip hop is about inspiration from other artists. Then the beat drops Jon Connor comes in swinging talking about how hard he had to work and the struggles he went through to get to where he is. This song was just like the original "Lose Yourself" song by Eminem, such an insperational song and my favorite song on this mixtape. 10/10

13. Hello - This is another song filled with bars. great song. 8.5/10

14. Beautiful Ft. D. Wayne - This another very deep song like the original. On this track Jon goes into detail about the kind of shit he went through to get to where is he today. D. Wayne also does very well with the hook on this one. This is another one of my favorites off this mixtape. 10/10

15. You Don't Know Ft. Mickey Wallace, Brandon Bars, & Lyric Da Queen - I think this track was alright. Brandon Bars verse was really weak as well as Lyric Da Queen's. Mickery Wallace did pretty well and Jon killed it with that last verse. The hook was also done pretty well and is quite catchy. 8/10

16. When I'm Gone - Another quite emotional track as is the original. Jon Connor goes on to talk about how he lost his cousin who was the one who believed in him and how he is what drives him to be the best. He delivers 3 well performed verses on this track and the hook goes pretty well with the song. 9/10

BONUS: No Love - He just takes this beat and kills it just like Eminem did. 9.5/10

BONUS: Fastlane - This was a great way to end the mixtape just spitting raw bars over a nice beat and then telling you to go get his all original project Season 2, and he definetly did better then Eminem on this beat. 9/10

Overall this is an awsome mixtape and anyone who hasnt heard it, i recommend you take a look and check it out because you won't be disappointed.

For those of you who think that he is just trying to get big by using eminem's beats, just have a listen to the intro, he says that this album is just a tribute to Eminem. He is just saluting someone who was an insperation to him and after the song " I Just Don't Give a Fuck" he clearly says that if by listening to this mixtape makes you go back and listen to some old eminem songs then he was successful at what he was trying to accomplish with this mixtape.

OVERALL GRADE: 9/10

heres a link for the mixtape
http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/jon-connor-the-people-s-rapper-lp-hosted-by-dj-don-cannon-mixtape.50907.html

And again this is my first review so don't hate too much lol Hopsin 2
Chokey
Chokey
Registered Member

Jon Connor - The People's Rapper LP (Mixtape Review) Empty Re: Jon Connor - The People's Rapper LP (Mixtape Review)

Sat 1 Sep 2012 - 21:03
Haven't heard of it but would you say he does the songs better than Eminem?
achmed420
achmed420
Registered Member

Jon Connor - The People's Rapper LP (Mixtape Review) Empty Re: Jon Connor - The People's Rapper LP (Mixtape Review)

Sat 1 Sep 2012 - 21:08
Chokey wrote:Haven't heard of it but would you say he does the songs better than Eminem?

there is no artist that cant take eminem beats and do better then him on them. (except jon connor does a lot better then em on the fastlane track)

However all i can really say is jon connor did very well even though em set the bar quite high
Buddie
Buddie
Registered Member

Sat 1 Sep 2012 - 21:09
Chokey wrote:Haven't heard of it but would you say he does the songs better than Eminem?

I've heard this album and no he doesn't outdo Eminem, but that wasn't the purpose of the mixtape. He was just trying to show how great of a rapper he is over his favorite rapper's beats. He did a great job at it too!
Chokey
Chokey
Registered Member

Sat 1 Sep 2012 - 21:28
achmed420 wrote:

there is no artist that cant take eminem beats and do better then him on them. (except jon connor does a lot better then em on the fastlane track)

However all i can really say is jon connor did very well even though em set the bar quite high
Okay just wanted to know cause if so he is insane.

@Buddie, I see. Just wanted to know.
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Sat 1 Sep 2012 - 23:29
solid review dude.
achmed420
achmed420
Registered Member

Sun 2 Sep 2012 - 0:08
STRANGEgenius wrote:solid review dude.

thanks man, appreciate it
Essence
Essence
Registered Member

Sun 2 Sep 2012 - 5:36
Jon Connor raps over Eminem beats
Elzhi raps over Nas beats
Jeet
Jeet
Registered Member

Sun 2 Sep 2012 - 5:55
Emblem wrote:Jon Connor raps over Eminem beats
Elzhi>Jon Connor
Nas>Eminem
Registered Member

Sun 2 Sep 2012 - 7:20
Jeet wrote:
Elzhi>Jon Connor
Eminem>Nas

Fixed.
Jeet
Jeet
Registered Member

Sun 2 Sep 2012 - 8:08
HopNation wrote:
Jeet wrote:
Elzhi>Jon Connor
Nas>Eminem

Fixed.
Negative.
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Sun 2 Sep 2012 - 10:53
who the fuck is Elhzi lol
Jeet
Jeet
Registered Member

Sun 2 Sep 2012 - 11:15
STRANGEgenius wrote:who the fuck is Elhzi lol
GTFO
achmed420
achmed420
Registered Member

Sun 2 Sep 2012 - 19:25

Hopsin 4

Perfect Stranger
Perfect Stranger
Registered Member

Wed 5 Sep 2012 - 7:12

Really? Really...I mean MOTHERFUCKING REALLY?

You don't know who Elzhi is or you trolling? SwizZz 1
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Wed 5 Sep 2012 - 7:16
never heard of him.
Knightmare
Knightmare
Registered Member

Wed 5 Sep 2012 - 7:18
STRANGEgenius wrote:never heard of him.
DL the Elmatic mixtape if you want. He's dope.
Jeet
Jeet
Registered Member

Wed 5 Sep 2012 - 11:07
STRANGEgenius wrote:never heard of him.
DUDE I FUCKING TOLD YOU LIKE 2 WEEKS AGO
liftthat
liftthat
Registered Member

Wed 5 Sep 2012 - 20:31
SwizZz 2
King
King
Registered Member

Wed 5 Sep 2012 - 21:24

Hopsin 3
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Wed 5 Sep 2012 - 22:29
ive never heard of him, Jeet mentioned him A FEW DAYS AGO on facebook, but thats it.
achmed420
achmed420
Registered Member

Thu 6 Sep 2012 - 3:05
STRANGEgenius wrote:ive never heard of him, Jeet mentioned him A FEW DAYS AGO on facebook, but thats it.

well now that you HAVE heard of him, go have a listen to him cuz he is very talented and highly underated
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Thu 6 Sep 2012 - 10:06
i shall... soon.
anthonyFv
Registered Member

Sun 9 Sep 2012 - 18:40
Dope Review! This mixtape blew me away. I thought No one could touch em but he came pretty dam close on this
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum