Hopsin Forums - Undercover Prodigy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Buddie
Buddie
Registered Member

Hopsin - RAW (Album Review) Empty Hopsin - RAW (Album Review)

Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 22:36
"RAW is the second studio album released by the rapper Hopsin. It was put on iTunes on November 19, 2010. It was released on Funk Volume, and the first on Funk Volume. Despite releasing a previous album, Gazing at the Moonlight, Hopsin considers this as his debut album. As of April 2012, it has sold 14,642 copies in the U.S."

This is the album that turned me into a Hopsin fan. Since this is Hopsin's forum, I thought it would be a good idea to review his best project. This album takes you on a journey through the Ill Mind Of Hopsin and after one listen, you're guaranteed to become a fan. I will give each song a grade and write a few sentences on why I gave it that grade. Here we go!

1. Hot 16's: This is one of my favorite songs on the album and is the perfect way to start off this album. Just raw lyricism on Hopsin's part and an extremely dope hook. This song drew me in and made me want to continue listening to the album. (10/10)

2. Sag My Pants: This is the 2nd Hopsin song I ever heard and I loved it at first. He really hit the nail on the head with Lil Wayne, Gucci Mane, and Soulja Boy disses. I didn't know who Tomica was at the time, so that part I really didn't get. With that said, if I try to listen to that song now I cringe because it's not up to par with rest of the album. The beat is one of the worst on the album hands down. I'm not saying it's a bad song, but it's 16 million views on YouTube make it seem very overrated. The song is the kind of song that Hop would never make nowadays. It is the best single that Hopsin has ever released though which isn't saying much. (7/10)

3. You Are My Enemy: This song is in my top 10 Hopsin songs for sure and is most likely in everyone elses' also. It's a great track that talks about how mad Hopsin was at everyone who has betrayed him in the past. The chorus is one of the best on the album and the verses are very well done also. (10/10)

4. Trampoline: A good, solid club banger type song but it's nothing great. According to a lot of fans, it sounds great at his concerts, but the fact of the matter is that it's not his best work. It's still a good song though. (7.5/10)

5. I'm Not Introducing You: In this song Hopsin is rapping about how he won't introduce certain types of girls to his mom. He does a great job at delivering each verse and the production is spot on. Not to mention how catchy the chorus is. (9/10)

6. I Can't Decide: When I first heard this song I didn't know what to think. I hated when rappers used autotune because it always sounds so corny and mainstream. But once I gave it a few more listens, it grew on me and I was immersed in the story line. Very good song altogether. (9/10)

7. I am Raw: This is the first time I was exposed to SwizZz, and when I heard him, it instantly turned me off and I automatically skipped his verse completely. Eventually SwizZz grew on me and I started really enjoying this song. Hop's verses are dead on and the chorus done by Hopsin's sister was very well done. (8.5/10)

8. Nocturnal Rainbows: When I first read this title, I thought it sounded really corny, but once I hit the play button, this song easily became my favorite on the album thus far(It's still in my Top 5). Everything he talks about in the song is great and the chorus is one of the best he's ever done. He pulled this song off tremendously and I'm glad he decided to make it. (10/10)

9. How You Like Me Now: This song contains one of the best flows Hopsin has ever had on a song. The chorus is great and SwizZz does a great job also. Hop's first verse is easily one of his best ever as far as flow and lyricism goes. (9/10)

10. Heather Nicole: This is the type of song that makes you want to cry and listen to it over and over again. Such a great song and this is an absolute masterpiece. The way he fit each word into the song is amazing and the chorus is depressing yet beautiful at the same time. Excellent song and one of his best. (10/10)

11. Kill Her: This is Hopsin's rawest/most aggressive song he's ever made IMO. He shows how great of a flow he has and how mad he was at Tomica and Ruthless Records. (9.5/10)

12. I'm Not Crazy: This song has great production and a great hook from Hopsin. His verse is very good and SwizZz's is also good. Cryptic Wisdom ruined this song for me (Even though I like some of his music), but it's still a good song. This song could have easily been better with another Hopsin verse though. (8.5/10)

13. Where Will I Go: This is my favorite song ever by Hop. The production is the best he has to offer and shows how great of a rapper he is. This song has everything you could possibly want. It has lyricism, emotion, and an excellent chorus. This is an awesome song and I hope Knock Madness will have a song as good as this. (10/10)

14. Baby's Daddy: The worst song on the album IMO. The song itself is funny and entertaining, but in reality, it's just not that good. Hop should have put this on Haywire and put "Leave Me Alone" in its place instead. (6.5/10)

15. Blood Energy Potion: Hopsin's fastest paced song to date and this shows how great of a flow he has. The chorus is very well done and the lyrics are very good. (9/10)

16. Pillow Man: One of my favorite songs on the album and I love the chorus in this song. This was a great way to end the album. Hopefully we will get to see more of Pillow Man in Knock Madness "I'll be in your dreams." (9.5/10)

Overall Grade: 9.7/10

This album is great and is the reason why I am a Hopsin fan today. If Knock Madness is as good as this then Hop has a great future in Hip Hop.
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Hopsin - RAW (Album Review) Empty Re: Hopsin - RAW (Album Review)

Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 23:24
It was released on Funk Volume, and the first on Funk Volume.

what? lol
Buddie
Buddie
Registered Member

Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 23:39
STRANGEgenius wrote:It was released on Funk Volume, and the first on Funk Volume.

what? lol

Yeah it's from Wikipedia lol, but I they're just trying to say that it was the first official album Funk Volume released.
Kamikaze
Kamikaze
Registered Member

Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 23:40
good review Thumbs Up

'As of April 2012, it has sold 14,642 copies in the U.S.' damn i wonder how many he has sold to date anybody know ?
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Wed 29 Aug 2012 - 23:56
Kamikaze wrote:good review Thumbs Up

'As of April 2012, it has sold 14,642 copies in the U.S.' damn i wonder how many he has sold to date anybody know ?

maybe only 20k.
Buddie
Buddie
Registered Member

Thu 30 Aug 2012 - 0:33
Kamikaze wrote:good review Thumbs Up

Around 25,000 probably
Chokey
Chokey
Registered Member

Thu 30 Aug 2012 - 9:25
Besides Hot 16s I agree with every pick of assessment of every song. Or... I think Sag My Pants is better than Pillow Man & Hot 16s but the rest I agree with.
Heather Nicole>Rest.
STRANGEgenius
STRANGEgenius
Administrator

Thu 30 Aug 2012 - 9:29
i now hate Babys Daddy lol
HipityHoppity
HipityHoppity
Registered Member

Sun 30 Sep 2012 - 14:57
I liked Baby Daddy, just the hook that sucked, the lyrics were funny tho

Overall great review I think I'd have rated it about the same
King
King
Registered Member

Sun 30 Sep 2012 - 21:00
Sag my pants

6/10 Big Grin
Perfect Stranger
Perfect Stranger
Registered Member

Mon 1 Oct 2012 - 2:56
I actually really enjoyed the production on Sag My Pants.
Also, Baby's Daddy gets me pumped up as hell and I found it really enjoyable even though it wasn't particularly relatable.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum